icon

Work experience

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeenysu919 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Hi im 16 years old and I live in spokane washington. I'm wondering where I can get some real experience in an install bay. I have installed a couple systems before but would really like to get into installing and learn how to install first hand from some professional installers. Any ideas on where to start?
audiopro111 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2004 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
if you have local best buys or circuit citys or any place like this they work at a slower pace and you can get first hands on experience with the basics like stereos ,tv's and secuity because of the factor that most of these places make appointment s so u normally know whats coming in before u touch it and have more time to research vehicle ......
AudioPro111
SmokeyJMB 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2004 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
I have worked for Best Buy as an installer. Most of their guys, in my area, don't know much. Plus you have to be 18 to be an installer at most places. The best way to learn is to start in Mobile sales to learn the product and how it works. alot of it can get complicated if you've never done it before. Then see if they will give you a chance to start installing. A good tip also is to start buying your tools now. They are not cheap and most shops will not supply the tools for you.
DO it right, Don't use SONY
audiopro111 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

i worked temporary work at best buy as an installation manager they will let u work at 16 if your schedule is flexible and if you have a work permit because your under age just say you

want tp participate in the apprentice program ..

AudioPro111
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  

See if any local salvage yards are hiring. It's a sucky job, maybe even more than installing, but it will get some good experience under your belt. It may be tough getting hired at 16, but it's worth a try. Some of these guys are shady and they don't really care about labor laws.

If you can be trusted to dismantle doors and dashboards in late model cars, a shop manager is more likely to consider your application. Most salvage yards do not pay well and you will need your own tools in most cases, but a $200 craftsmen set and a tool box will get you started. Some may even have you installing parts as well as uninstalling parts.

For now, just install anything you can, keep a record and photograph as much as you can. Ask for references, even if they are mostly friends and family. Do a variety of installations, you never know what skills will be in demand.

jeenysu919 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  

thanks for all the help guys. I went to my local best buy today and they said they there was no way I would even touch a car before I was 18 but I'll try the salvage yard idea tomorrow.

audiopro111 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2004 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
sorry about the best buy but yeah go for the salvage yard  GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
AudioPro111
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
even I got my start in the curcuit city road shop..It was really kinda a fluke, I was selling home aud/vid equipment and they had 2 installers quit on the same day so they were asking if anyone knew anyone that had experience and needed a job, so I told them I went through a electronics troubleshooting and wiring class in high school at the local tech school, they asked if I had ever touched a car...I had alreayd installed about 3 or 4 diffrent systems for myself and that was that,   Off to the races and here I am now 5 years later...Maybe anything in here can help
Look at your high school,   Most have a Vocational school you can go to, look for electronics..
And Try to go for just a sales job at curcuit city/best buy any other place that sells/installs car audio
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jeenysu919 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 09, 2004 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  

thanks for all the help again any other suggestions would be great

buddydog24 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2004 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  
There are schools out there that can teach you the basics and then you can at least have some knowledge
buddydog24 speaks
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic