icon

head unit question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
Right now i have a pioneer deh-P2600. I want to swap this out with a head unit with around a 5 volt RCA output and a 60x4 watt output. The guy at the local audio shop said if i get a better head unit my whole system would sound louder and the subs would sound more clearer. Any suggestions to what type of head unit i should get with the specs i requested? I dont want to spend more than $250. Thankyou
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
3 way speakers arn't neccesarily for systems that don't have subs. I don't know where you heard that. Usually 3 way speakers just have an extra "supertweeter" or two. The memphis component speakers should sound alot better than your Pioneers though.
AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
what about replacing my head unit?
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

The system can sound cleaner and clearer , but louder? doubt it.

5 volt pre outs wont matter either, just means gains will be set differently thats all.As for 60wx4 with a head unit?good luck

For sq go for an eclipse....should be able to find one in that price range,allthough theres other brands better or just as good,i'll let some others chime in...

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  
Oh sorry wrong threadhead unit question -- posted image.. I doubt that you will find a deck that puts out a real 5 volts for that amount of money. You could try Eclipse decks which put out around a real 2.7 volts, while most other decks that sell for the same amount usually only put out around 1.5 to 2 at most.
The only cd player i know of that puts out 60x4 continuous is one by Panasonic that has a class T amp in it. The average deck will put out 16 watts continuous.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Try taking your 4 extra tweeters before you buy another head unit. That will increase the sound quality MUCH more than anything else I can recommend.
Also, I'd totally ignore the head unit power rating when buying a head unit. Get the best sounding cd-player you can and use a separate amplifier to power the speakers.
With some nice subs in the center console you probably have a nice start on up front bass. The next thing I would do is concentrate on your front stage. Try some components in the kick panels and separate midbass drivers in the doors.
Oh yeah, and remember to get rid of those extra tweeters.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
You can get a Eclipse HU for around $250. It will be your best bet for better sound quality in that price range. Be warned though, it wont have as many features as your pioneer. They are 40Wx4, but im not sure if ut actually puts out that much.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
Nakamichi, need i say more? They have a true 4 volt pre out on that CD-400, and anyone who knows Nakamichi knows that they don't mess around. If anything they are underrated!
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, but with what AJRX was saying, I don't think he want's to spend that much money. head unit question -- posted image.
Paul

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic