the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need advice from one shop to another

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaurora 
Silver - Posts: 429
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  

Well jeremy,

1) Im sure people will agree when on alot of the newer cars have the tach wire connected it starts inturrupting the electronic transmissions causing issues.

2) All vehicles need the hoodpins

3) soldering is always the more used and perferred way.

Im sure that there are plenty of expereanced installers out there that may be able to do some vehicles in an hour. Before you start with other people think about it you are not the only installer out there. It may take you 2 hours because of different equipment, or processes, think about it! Before you "doubt it"!

MECP certified (If it really means anything)
Jeremy
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
jeremyjerm wrote:
im gonna add my 10 cents
remote starts are almost never just remote starts i would have to say that i do more rs alarms than anything.
2 hours is a good time to offer as a quote. and all you dudes doin them in an hour, do u solder, do you tach or voltage sense, do you do a hoodpin and a neutral safety
i doubt it
REALLLY now.
Solder, hood tach EVERYTHING.
Be in this industry for 13 years, and do starters that long.
You get fast.
What helps is I can recall 90% of all vehicles I've worked on before so I don't need to "find" wires. I know where they are.
ps.
1992 Chev truck, RS with keyless. In and out in 38 minutes. EVERY WIRE SODLERED.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
I totally believe that shaun. All I wanna know is how fast to do a mid 90's neon. I am guessing its faster than that. I have to agree to, when you dont need to look up wire colors then it gets far quicker. It also depends on what you are installing. I remeber doing 125hf viper remote starts and taking 20 minutes + to prep the damn things the way I wanted, but using the new 125xv from viper that prep time is cut down to 5-10 minutes depending on features.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
hey csorb - Im gonna sum this question up for you -your guys taking 7 hours on a remote start is either 2 things.
1- they are taking their time on purpose or 2- they are just slow and probably need to step it up a notch, but this is only if you are losing business from other cust. if you are not then who cares how long they take. if you are then it is time to have a sit down with these guys. just think a good experienced mechanic can swap an engine in 7 hours. a remote start with soldering the wires and making ALL connections (dome light supervision, trunk pop, etc.) should take 2 hours tops. Send your guys to a dealership with 5 cars to do and tell them they can go home when they are done with only the 5 cars. Bet they will step it up a notch. But always remember quality before quantity. you also dont want to lose customers b/c installation problems.
Cruisin Security And Sounds
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2004 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

hey fellas,

just my two cents, but incentive is everything... My boss is a helluva good dude, but he has his days. He kinda gets into gi joe mode and acts like ya outta be drippin sweat and almost having a heart attack. Then theres the other days that hes fine and everythings velvet. Point is, I make $10.00 an hour whether I do one install or fifteen. I am experienced and can be quick, but on days where Im like F&*# it, then why should I bust ass? I know it sounds negative, but it is what it is.

peace

Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
Mja1962 
Copper - Posts: 119
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Another $0.02:

It might seem as though paying someone by the hour removes the incentive to move quickly.  But it's important to remember that giving someone an incentive to do a lot of cars might make them more inclined to take shortcuts, which could  translate into a less careful job.  Of course that is a generalization, and doesn't apply to everyone equally, but it's not uncommon to trade speed for quality.  And of course, not all shortcuts are bad!  Just another way of looking at the both sides of the issue...

-Michael

csorb 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 12:01 PM / IP Logged  
Most of the cars that end up taking overly long are new cars that few people have done. Many times we end up spending extra time on things like factory disarm, and dealing with accessory issues such as automatic steering wheel and auto headlight type issues. We get a fair number of new Acuras, Infinitis, Lexuss and the like. I don't see how someone can avoid having to spend time dealing with these issues when so few people have done these cars.
dantemc 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
im not sure how a basic remote start would take 4-7 hours and how anyone could charge $99 for the rs. i am a directed dealer, the 561 r with remotes and door locks, i usually install for $200 and add $50 if a bypass module is needed. average install time with everything stripped, no t taps at all is about an hour to an hour and a half. if a car like an 04 escaldae comes in, for example, and they want a combo alarm/remote start, and 2 by pass modules are needed (the L and the G) usually takes about 3 hours. that is with evry single connection, even with extending wires are soldered, because the long island dealships around me will not warranty any caadilac unless it is completely soldered. i cant see where the other 3 hours are going, especially if you are not constantly dealing with brand new cars all the time. obviuosly some cars are more difficult then others, and i will say, a new bmw or 2005 chrysler 300 took some time, but i would be very angry if every basic remote start took that long because the come back rate for an hour and a half remote start is very low, so quality is not affected. thats my 2 cents, haha
lathan 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
good point csorb. I had a frikken 05 pathfinder the other day that was more of a nightmare than I even care to describe. we had to test everything cuz there was no wiring diagram anywhere. directechs- techsoft- velocity- here- anywhere. none of the wires on the 04 were the same. none of em'. so after hours of testing my buddy I work with somehow fried the door lock module which comes straight off the ecm, so whatever happened everytime we would hit unlock the rear wiper would go four times- stop- and the horn would honk until u held unlock down. weird thing is that the lock function worked just fine.
Lathan Hites
"I'm sorry, without a credit card I'll be requiring a stool sample"
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic