icon

2004 Grand AM GT Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jaystang 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, i'm new to these forums but i'm having some problems with my remote start on my 2004 Grand Am GT.

When i click from the remote to start it, it'll start to crank and then stop before it turns over.  It does this 3 times before giving up altogether.  It will only do this when it is cold out though, basically when you really need it.  I don't know all too much about how these things work.  It was installed at a local auto electrical shop and has been brought back to them atleast 6 times and every time they look at it they say its fine.  I'm guessing due to the car is warm when they have it and not dead cold.  They've even had it over night to see if it would start the next morning.  Just my luck it did, it wasn't all that cold out that morning.  I was just wondering if anyone might know what is wrong with it or see if anyone else has had the same problem.  Any help would be greatly appreachiated. 

~Jamie

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
What make and model of your RS
jaystang 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Not sure to be honest.  Everything was done at the auto electrical shop.  If you think its that important i might be able to call tomorrow and find out what they used.
jaystang 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Oh and another FYI... they took it out of my old car which was a 2000 grand am gt where it worked perfect 100% of the time.  Same car really.  My lease ended on the 2000 and they offered me a deal on an 04 so i went with that.  So i had the auto electrical shop take it out of the 00 and switch it into the 04.  They were also the ones that originally installed it on the 00 too.

iskidoo 
Silver - Posts: 1,040
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the installer took a shortcut and used TACHLESS mode. If they hooked it up correctly it would be connected to a tach source which enables the remote starter to turn over the starter until it starts successfully. The tach provides an A/C signal that tells the remote start brain when the engine has successfully started. The starter will turn over longer if its very cold out, sometimes up to 5 seconds of cranking...whatever it takes to get the cold engine to turn over and successfully stay running. The tachless mode requires less time for the installer to put in because they don't need to run a wire through the firewall into the engine compartment and attach it to the ignition coil. The remote start unit cranks for a predetermined time. Usually about .5 seconds on the 1st attempt, .75 on the second attempt and 1.0 second on the final attempt (times vary by brand). More likely than not, this is what's causing your problem. Some cars start harder in very cold weather and don't always work well in tachless mode. Most professionals use TACH mode always because customers have come back with the same complaint that you have. As the vehicle ages, owners slack off on there tune-up schedules and the vehicles need more cranking time to start. Take it back and make them wire up the tach input so your vehicle will remote start reliably the first time, every time. Click the following link for more info:
Tach or "No-Tach" Explained in detail
PS. Try opening the hood and then remote starting the vehicle to see if they ran the hood safety pin switch. The vehicle should not start remotely if they installed the hood pin. This is for the safety of your mechanic, so he doesn't lose body parts while servicing the engine if the remote starter accidentally started the car while he was under the hood. If they skipped the tach wire they may have skipped this important safety feature as well.
Good Luck, Steve
jaystang 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 1:41 PM / IP Logged  

i think that has to be my problem!... i see no wire going through the firewall to it and i am able to start the car while the hood is open!.... thanks a million!

swamprat323 
Gold - Posts: 1,335
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Take a leson form thsi one, next tiem you need a alarm or waht ever dont have them do it. 2004 Grand AM GT Remote Start -- posted image.
jaystang 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok heres another question for ya... I've been doing a little more reading about the "Tach" vs. "No-Tach" methods. One other problem i have is every now and then it will start but then it cuts off after running for like 3 seconds... then it'll try it again 2 more times... exactly like the same problem i'm having when it doesn't start only it'll start and cut off. Do u think this could also be related to not having the Tach wire installed?
~Jamie
solartech 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2005 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
yes some car do not work well without the tach installed some work fine . You can have erattic starting and it may not start in the cold.
jaystang 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2005 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  

no but that wasn't my point...  i mean yes it does do that... but today for example when i tried to start from the remote it actually turned over and started... ran for maybe 4 or 5 seconds... then shut off.   It would repete this 2 more times, both time in which the car actually started.  My question is could this be tied into my original problem i posted above or could this be something different?

~Jamie

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic