the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Viper 791XV, '04 Ford F-350 w/6.0 diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

Has anyone tried soldering onto the LED yet or am I the only one?

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
knucklehead 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Rob- did you actually solder the Viper's wait-to-start wire to the dash light itself? Was this on a 6.0 PSD? If so, has there been any problems with it? And did you use a diode?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
I was installing a Compustar in the 04 F350 with the 6.0 diesel. IIRC the led is on the far left of the circuit board and you want to solder on the top side of it. Now I did not get it to work correctly and was working the problem when time just ran out on us (customer had to leave  so we used the built in timer on the Compustar). The led gave us 6 volts when powered on and dropped to 1 volt when it was out. Whenever I touched my meter to this led, the led lit up to about 25% of it's normal brightness, the same thing when I attached the wait to start wire to the led. Even if I had a diode on this line, it would still do the same thing. I want another one of these vehicle in here to see if I can solve this issue. It makes sense in principal to do this, probably with the addition of a relay to the diode. If this can be made to work it most certainly would solve a whole pile of issues and save a couple of bucks on the install. Maybe Jeff will read this and comment on it, wait and see I guess.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  
I thought about doing this on a Dodge. The only concern I would have is isolation.... would the signal for the LED beenough to crank a mini relay?? It may, but it may not like seeing whatever is connected to the other side of the relay.   What one could try is a solid state relay (transistor that will switch on and behave like a relay with the appropriate input). The "on" contact for it draws 3 or so mA, it is technically isolated.... could be used to switch a ground for the wait to start, and shouldn't throw the cluster circuitry out of whack. All the cluster will see is another semiconductor junction to drive, and the draw should be less than any relay.
Does thismake sense, or have been on the pipe too much lately?
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Rob- PLEASE post back on this when you get another 6.0 in there. I truly would like to know how this turns out.

kbouwman 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2005 at 9:09 AM / IP Logged  
Rob-I have a 2005 F250 with a 6.0 diesel that I installed a crimestopper remote on last weekend. I had the IP in my hands but I couldn't figure out how to disconnect the wiring harnesses at the top. I didn't want to break it so I stopped for now. Is there any chance that a light sensitive transistor could be located near the wait to start led? This could be used to drive a relay and provide complete isolation. Once I am sure I know how to get inside the panel without breaking anything I want to experiment with this. I am currently using the built in 10 second delay but I am a bit anal and I would like to have the truck start as soon as it can and always wait as long as it needs.
Kevin
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
I posted a question about the install on my '04 F-350 earlier and got some fantastic respones, most notably from Ravendarat, extreme1, and gus1. Thank you. Now I have another question. When I arm or disarm the system the key in ignition chime sounds in sequence with the alarm chirps and the radio momentarily comes on and goes off. Is the normal?
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
This is usually the case when the BCM must be awakened before door locks will work.
So the answer is . . . . yes it's normal.
knucklehead 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

Big Dog wrote:
This is usually the case when the BCM must be awakened before door locks will work.
So the answer is . . . . yes it's normal.

Thank you. I hate to say it, but one quick not very well thought-out answer from an installer can make the rest of their work suspect. I am glad you guy's are here to help.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic