icon

I really started, pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:12 PM / IP Logged  

pretty awesome man, I cant wait to see some pics once u start some fiberglassing, should be pretty killer when its done.

djdaveoc 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry Kosoku, I guess I didn't explain that part.  I will be making an MDF frame for the dash like Alpine did.  Then I will probably tape the wood with painters tape and cover it with tin foil too and put a mold release on it.  Then I will wrap the whole thing in fleece and staple it to the wood, through the foil and tape.  So the fleece will stap tight on the MDF, but when I cover it with resin, it won't seep into the MDF and make a bond with it.  Then when the dash hardens, I will be able to pop it off pretty easily and take it out for finishing and painting.  I think I will tray to lay a few layers of glass and coat it with Marglass like Alpine did before I take it out though.  That way it won't warp when I pull it out.  I will make sure to form the piece in a way that I can still pull the whole thing out with help from a friend when it's ready.  My steering wheel can bend way down and will not get in the way.  Also, I will be making a second piece that will be for the front and bottom part of the dash.  I will do that piece in the same way.  The Top will be painted red when I'm done and the bottom will be black.  I will probably also do a custom center console for my switches and controls and that will also be painted red. 
I really started, pics - Page 2 -- posted image. Plan, Research, Do
93accordSE 
Copper - Posts: 203
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Looks good so far.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks. It's been raining here in the southwest since last night and will still be raining until tomorrow afternoon I think.  So hopefully I'll be able to do some more work either late tomorrow or on Sunday.  I'll post more pics then if I can figure out how to do it.  Every time I post pics, they don't show up.  They show as a little box with an X in it.
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
It's going to rain on and off again for the next week or so here in southern cali.  Must be an "El Nino" year again with all this rain.  So I will do more work tomorrow afternoon if it's not raining.  I need to start making the MDF frame for the dash and then I can start getting some glassing done. 
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Well good news and bad news.  Bad news is that it's going to rain again tomorrow and southern cali is close to breaking it's rain record.  The good news is that I don't start my new job until Monday and I may have 4 days of clear weather so I can do my dash before I start my job.  Wish me luck.  Hopefully I'll be able to post pics this time without having problems.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
Good luck! Heard yall had a nice little shower this morning. I'm in alabama and during the "winter" it never really gets too cold but it rains constantly.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Yes was going to wash the vic yesterday,  but rain again today.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
djdaveoc 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
Well it didn't rain today so I got up about noon and sanded down the inside of my truck where the bondo walls were messed up.  I also vacuumed out the inside and took the other chair out.  Since my truck is getting old, and the outside has flaws in the paint already, I used some epoxy glue to seal between the top of my mirrors and the truck.  I also had to seal in between the truck and the outside door handles.  Water has been leaking inside the truck during the rain so I took a hose and figured out where it was coming from.  I'm going to let it dry overnight and test it again tomorrow.  As soon as I get the leaking fixed, I'll finish the Dynamat and work on the dash.
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

djdaveoc wrote:
  Every time I post pics, they don't show up.  They show as a little box with an X in it.

they call that an X-box, actually some sites wont let u post pics on other sites so u need to find a photo hosting site that u can upload pics to and then link them to the site.  www.photobucket.com is a good photo hosting site that i use and i havent had any problems with it, although since u have some pics that did show up maybe its just a problem with the URL or something.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic