icon

PPI or Soundstream?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tmorefi 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
I previously had a PPI PCX-4125 and loved it but it was recently stolen. I was going to replace it with the new PPI equivalent PPI DCX-1000.4 but also thought about the Soundstream VGA-500.4. They have almost identical specs. Any thoughts or comparisons? I've never used soundstream. Thanks.
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.a...70&1=471&3=2780
http://www.woofersetc.com/product.a...07&1=408&3=3433
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
if you are looking for an awesome sounding four channel and can afford about $600 check out the us amps tu4360 tube amp.  us amps has figured out how to keep the quality sound of tube technology uncontaminated while being able to produce good output voltage. i think that amp is 4x75 @ 4ohm and 90 x 4 @ 2.  check out www.usamps.com to see some nice nice amps, also check out the class de technology theyve patented, quit impressive.
tmorefi 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Any other comments on the soundstream versus the ppi?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go soundstream, just cuz PPI has done me wrong in the past year. I agree with the other advice, US AMPS is the best amp out there. Go for that if you can.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I've personally heard any Soundstream amps, but I do own a PPI PCX1250. Personally, I'm rather fond of it. I love PPI and think their gear is some of the best, but even I would never reccomend their new stuff. Crap.
Paul
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

newtone wrote:
if you are looking for an awesome sounding four channel and can afford about $600 check out the us amps tu4360 tube amp.  us amps has figured out how to keep the quality sound of tube technology uncontaminated while being able to produce good output voltage. i think that amp is 4x75 @ 4ohm and 90 x 4 @ 2.  check out www.usamps.com to see some nice nice amps, also check out the class de technology theyve patented, quit impressive.

I'd be a little skeptical about their claim of "90% efficiency" on those DE amps. I would have to see an independent review/test that would verify their numbers first before I could truly believe that...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  
Paradigm, wake up call. They've been in the business for like 10+ years making the highest quality amps in the US. The only thing that really comes close to their efficiency is MMATS, but US Amps still take the cake. Believe what you want, but for those of us who have heard/owned the equipment, we'll tell you that there is no review/test needed. They are amazing.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

90% efficiency?  In a class D amp?  No way. Even the most efficient design available today, the Tripath or "class T" amplifiers are only around 84% efficient.  The best class D amps are around 75-78% efficient.  If US Amps (or any other company) is advertising 90% efficiency, ask them to prove it.

And I hate to send you a wake-up call, uthink, but the only thing worth believing in the audio world IS an independent review and test.  No doubt US Amps makes good gear, and if you like them so be it, but a review by someone other than the manufacturer would be nice.

Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  
pssst... secret ... i live in florida, and i've stopped in miami and watch them build one of the amps. I saw them bench test it, and yes, it put out 90% efficiency. I'll try to get them to send me a review of it.
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
Interesting..lets see the review. I live in FL as well..where do they make the amps?
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic