icon

PPI or Soundstream?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
They are now made in Gainsville up by the University of Florida. I'll look around for the address. I saw them build on in Miami side to side with the MMATS D700.1 . Both were awesome.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
U.S.Amps Inc.
2405 NW 66th Court
Gainesville, FL   32653
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  

the us 'de' amps are a hybrid class d. what ever that means right.  the 'control' section of the amp is like class ab but the power supply is like class d.  well thats what the tech at us explained to me.  i'm kinda skeptical about that effeciency rating myself, but i like us amps so it doesnt matter to me how efficient they are.  back to the topic though.  i like old school ppi myself, but have never had a soundstream mids/his amp so i cant make an educated recomendation.  if you can find some old ppis id say go with those

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
i can say from experiance if you go with soundstream, you will not be dissapointed. i have a TR/800.5 and i've had various passangers ask me what size of sub i run when i havent even had the luxery of putting one in. but any quality amp can produce that.
if your looking for SQ or powering you incab speakers i would go with SS, but if its strictly powering your subs, maybe SQ isnt as important to you, and US or PPI w/e would make a good choice as well.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  
US Amps have excellent SQ, that series in particular i believe has less than <0.006% THD. Besides it's statistics, I heard it powering a ProCast woofer, and it sounded marvelous. that ProCast is an SQ sub, so yeah, it was nothing short of breathtaking.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
I still cast my vote for PPI. Their Art series amp are still regarded as some of the best ever made along with Phoenix Gold's ZPA amps. Along with many others.
Paul
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  

Francious70 wrote:
I still cast my vote for PPI. Their Art series amp are still regarded as some of the best ever made along with Phoenix Gold's ZPA amps. Along with many others.
Paul

I loved PPI's art series amps! Those were too sweet! Wish they would do another run of those since I can afford them now and could buy some for myself (drools)...

VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
Paradigm 
Silver - Posts: 284
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
I'm with DYohn on this - I still don't believe those US Amps are 90% efficient. Sorry. Still waiting for an INDEPENDENT test/review to confirm. Then maybe I'll believe it. Doesn't mean that US Amps are bad, just sounds like the whole propaganda game to me PPI or Soundstream? - Page 2 -- posted image.
VEHICLE: 2002 GMC Sonoma ZR2
Alpine CDA-7940
AudioControl EQT x2
JL Audio 1000/1
JL Audio 10W6 (originals) x3
Kicker ZR120
Kicker ZR460
Polk GXR-6 x4
Polk GXR-4 x2
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
oh id say they are far from bad, us amps are kinda like jack in the box, they dont make it till you order it.  after you order then you wait a couple a weeks while it is  hand assembled and tested, nice nice.  as far as i know zapco is the only thing close to the quality of a us amp, anyway the de series is only for sub applications anyway so im not sure why they have been brought up.  the tube amps are their sq bad boys.  also has anyone heard the mb quart amplifiers?  i saw them advertised but havent got to see or hear one.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
i've heard the MB Quarts, not so impressed. Its clear but there is no meat behind it. If you like classical music, you'd like it, but don't expect any boom from it.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic