icon

Benefits of a one-ohm connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
n.sputnik 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  

Would someone please explaine to me the benefits of a one-ohm connection/capeble amp?

The only reason I can see would be so that you could connect more speakers to a single amp.  The volume you would get from one speaker would be no different that what your would get from three speakers connected in parallel to a single amp.  At one ohm, the amp has to work harder to power all three speakers, and the sound quality is not as good.  Is this correct?

it seems to me that if you want the highest possible SPL, you should have only one speaker connected to one amp, but have multiple sets of these (such as 3 amps and three speakers).

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
I hear high school girls these days like guys that run their amps into the ground. And capacitors. And chrome flames. woo hoo.
<sarcasm off>
1-ohm will allow competitors to push much more power to the subwoofer than 4-ohm based wattage class.
I feel there's little need to run 1-ohm in daily drivers and sq vehicles.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
n.sputnik 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  
So it is for a competition, to see who can push their amp close enough the the brink of causing to to blow or go into a protection mode without doing so?
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
Competition is sometimes broken up into wattage groups. 1-300, 300-600, 600+. A competitor's wattage is usually the sum of each amplifier channel's rms rated power at 4ohms.
So, if a competitor can keep his total 4-ohm wattage under, say 300w - but really be pulling 1,000w at 1-ohm he has a huge advantage over others in his class.
If the amplifier is truely 1-ohm stable this won't be a problem.
But again, I don't really see much of a point for daily drivers.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Well, if you like distortion in the ~10~25% range, then I guess that would be a benefit of running at 1 Ohm.
I have also read somewhere that a 1 or 2 Ohm voice coil is actually more efficient then a 4 or 8 Ohm VC.
Anyway, just to throw a curve ball into this thread. Note that Bose amplifiers are capable of 1/2 Ohm. I know that Bose isn't considered good compared to aftermarket stuff, but they do make some pretty good OEM systems.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have my subs wired to 1-ohm, it was the easiest way to wire them. 1-ohm just offers more wiring options.
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
Would running at 1 ohm really hurt the SQ? specifically a dvc brahma running off of a JBL 600.1 at one ohm.
kfr01 
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
It will have higher levels of distortion than at 4-ohms.
To my knowledge the JBL 600.1 is not rated 1 ohm stable; you could be shortening its usable life.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:26 PM / IP Logged  

There is no benefit to running a system at one-ohm other than making loud noise.  SQ is degraded by a factor of about 10 (and on some amps by about 100) when dropping an amplifier's loading from 4 ohms to 1 ohm.  JBL's BP series is not rated at 1-ohm, although they will handle it as long as they are set up correctly.

If you are interested in SQ, I say never run with impedence less than 4 ohms on any amplifier.  I run my sub and my mid-bass at 8 ohms for this very reason.

Support the12volt.com
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
The one i have says its 1 ohm stable in the manual, but says there is no power increase compared to 2 ohms. How would i wire it at 2 ohms if it has 2ohm dvc's?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic