the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Benefits of a one-ohm connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
One speaker with 2-ohm DVC can only be wired for 4-ohms (series) or 1-ohm (parallel.)   I'd run it at 4-ohms, but it's your system.  To create a 2-ohm load you will need two of those speakers or a DVC 4-ohm model.
Support the12volt.com
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 4:44 PM / IP Logged  
Thought that was the case. thanks for the info.
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
No, with a 2OHM DVC, you can use a two channel amp, one to power each channel. You just have to be sure to feed each channel the same signal, or else distortion could be created
Poormanq45 
Silver - Posts: 597
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
Here you go, this is a Mcintosh amp that is rated down to 1 Ohm stable with <o.oo5% THD
http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/mcprod/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=22&cat=Power+Amplifiers&prodid=1063&product=MCC602TM
You probably won't be able to find it, but this is just my way of throwing a curve ball into this thread Benefits of a one-ohm connection - Page 2 -- posted image. . So it is possible to run 1 Ohm stable at low distortion levels, but it will cost you an arm and a leg
mikew04 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
The amp is a mono amp, but it does have two speaker outputs. could i wire each to a seperate voice coil? and if i could, will the amp see a 2ohm load?
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
no, the amp still bridges internally so you will end up with a one ohm load. On the topic of one ohm, I have a HCCA 425 that I run at 1 ohm bridged on the front channels and at 1 ohm bridged on the rear channels with what seems to be no ill effects. I havent been able to notice and real audible difference in sound quality between wiring it in 4 ohms or 1 ohm but I run a  wall with 4 12's so I guess sq isnt really my main priority.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

Poormanq45 wrote:
No, with a 2OHM DVC, you can use a two channel amp, one to power each channel. You just have to be sure to feed each channel the same signal, or else distortion could be created

Which is exactly the same thing as wiring for 4-ohms and bridging a stereo amp.

Support the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
It should be noted that in competition systems the threshold of human hearing is also crossed where we can no longer hear SQ and differentiate it from good or bad sound. 1 ohm is just wrong for a SQ based system. The amplifiers ability to control the motion of the driver (damping factor) goes out the window. In the days before Class D (yes guys there were such amps) a 2channel Class AB was generally all we had to work with and if we were lucky, we also had some 8 ohm drivers around as well. Long live the Alpine 3545.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
I have my JBL 600.1 running at 1-ohm and I havent had any problems.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
i think the 'benefit' of running one ohm, or why alot of manf. produce amps that make power @ 1 ohm with the class d technology ,is that the amplifier actually has to produce less output voltage to achieve the same output power.  less voltage produced means less amperage needed, by using this tech.manufacturers have been able to make tons of money  by selling amps that produce 'impressive' output figures without having to convince the consumer buy another battery,  they can just sell them a capacitor with a big digital display instead.  in this marketing catagory i dont believe sq is in the equation, its class d tech, there isnt much sq in there even at 4 ohms.   there are of course amps which are exceptions to this, but they are few and far between, and if you can find good class ab amps stable to 1 ohm or less you will definately pay for them and their low thd and fabulous dampening factors.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic