the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Benefits of a one-ohm connection

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  

newtone wrote:
  less voltage produced means less amperage needed, by using this tech.manufacturers have been able to make tons of money  by selling amps that produce 'impressive' output figures without having to convince the consumer buy another battery,  they can just sell them a capacitor with a big digital display instead.

I beg to differ.  At lower voltage levels, current flow is vastly increased to create the same power.  Good old Ohm's Law; P=IE, or power = current flow times voltage.  For power to remain constant, the two factors must change inversly from one another.

Support the12volt.com
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  

dang, your right againBenefits of a one-ohm connection - Page 3 -- posted image.

looks like i should rethink those late night topics before i post 'em.

newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
newtone wrote:

dang, your right againBenefits of a one-ohm connection - Page 3 -- posted image.

looks like i should rethink those late night topics before i post 'em.

oops, scratch that

here was my logic

if old school amp ab produces 625 watts at 4 ohms it needs to produce 50 volts output

if new amp d produces 625 watts at 1 ohm it needs to produce 25 volts output

which of these amps needs less current draw?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
They both need the SAME amount of current IN, but the 1 ohm output will be twice the current OUT as the 4 ohm output. They are both 625 watts out...
The 4 ohm load will draw (as MUCH as) 12.5 amps
12.5A times 50.0v equals 625w
The 1 ohm load will draw (as MUCH as) 25.0 amps
25.0A times 25.0v equals 625w
Hope this helps...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
Very helpful. Nice to see someone so succinctly explain something.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

And, since it is current flow (and the resultant magnetic fields) that produces heat in an electrical conductor, the amplifier having to pass 25 amps will produce more than twice the waste heat as the one passing 12.5 amps.  Morre heat = increased resistance = less efficiency = more current draw = more heat.  More heat = more thermal stresses = less insulation resistance = more leakage current = shorter life expectency.  Higher current = operating closer to limits = lower S/N ratio  = crappier SQ.  Etc.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

It looks like newtone means to contrast 4 ohms with a 60% efficient amp (A/B) against 1 ohm with a 90% efficient amp (D)....how does efficiency work into this as far as current draw?

And haemphyst, please bear with me...looking at your 4 ohm example, at 50 volts the amp will send 12.5 amps through the speaker wire.  Right?  But don't we figure amperage IN based on the car's 14 volt power supply?

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
In my example, I left out the efficiency aspect...
A/B amp - 625 out divided by 60% efficiency equals 1042 watts in or 72.3 amps @ 14.4v
Class D - 625 out divided by 90% efficiency equals 695 watts in or 48.3 amps @ 14.4v
The digital amp is 66.8% more efficient in converting watts to watts.
Yes, the Class D amp is quite a bit more efficient from the INPUT regard, but when looking at the load side, the differences go away. Ohm's law still applies for both of them. The OUTPUT efficiency is the same for both amps.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

......the only benefit we might see here is the use of a more efficient class of amp as far as pull on the car's electrical system.......but a class D amp at 1 ohm is of no higher of quality in output than a (similar quality) A/B amp at 1 ohm.......and the sound quality would certainly benefit if the class D amp were loaded at 4 ohms.

So there is no "benefit of a 1 ohm connection" by suggesting the use of a different class of amp.

newtone wrote:
and if you can find good class ab amps stable to 1 ohm or less you will definately pay for them and their low thd and fabulous dampening factors.

You might pay for them but the fabulous numbers won't be there.  Because when you push even the great amps into high amperage output the THD and damping factors are gone....either through the roof or out the window.

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
In other words - there remains little justification for running at 1-ohm in a daily driver.
Great discussion guys.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic