First system need suggestion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xxMxx 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all

I got a Rockford 800.2 and I'm thinking of getting 2 Kicker 12"L7 subs. I'm just wondering if the amp has sufficient power. And do I need a Cap?If I do 1 farad or 2 farad cap should i use

Thanks for the comment.. : )

crraig wilson 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2002 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
what is the amp output of you alt.?
craig wilson
xxMxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2002 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
14.4 v.
kevin1 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2002 at 3:29 PM / IP Logged  

A ROCKFORD 800.2 IS A PRETTY NICE AMP.  THEY RUN ON A HIGHER

POWER SUPLY WHICH MAKES THEN PERFORM AS A 1000 WATT AMP.U SHOULD HAVE NO TROUBLE POWERING UR SUBS. CAPS AND ODD NOISE TO UR SYSTEM ( U HEAR BASS WHEN CHANGING SONGS ). I WOULD SUGGEST ISOLATING A SECOND BATTERY , A GEL CELL....

I WOULD ALSO LOOK AT THE AUDIOBAHN LINE FOR SUBS! THEY POUND AND SOUND GOOD

i just picked up 2 entry line 15's and i'm rockin' out 156.9 dbs with the same amp u got.

and i have no problems!

xxMxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2002 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the advice...
Reeceddogg 
Copper - Posts: 329
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2002 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I have the same amp and it sucks all the juice out of my rockford cap, and it's a one farad. I'd go with a 2 farad and you'll have plenty of power.  also be careful of how you wire them if you have the 2 ohm dvd model
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  

Hahaha...  Kevin you are so wrong.  A cap will not add noise to your system, but rather filter noise out.  You ever wonder what they put in a noise filter?  Yep, you guessed right, It's a capacitor!  Sounds like you had a problem with a ground loop whenever you experienced that "Odd noise."    Audiobahn 15's rockin  156.9 db, huh?  At what frequency, and what type of enclosure?  Also, where do you put the mike at for the meter you use to measure the SPL with?  What's the Xmax on those subs?  I personally view Audiobahn as crap but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  As far as a punch 800 pushing 1000W, it is possible, as long as you can provide it with a constant 14.4v  which is pretty much impossible without a badass charging system...  Try putting a multimeter on your power and ground terminals of the amp and see how far the voltage dips...  I bet it drops well below 14.4V!  What do you mean by "Higher power supply?"  Lemme tell ya, RF is too cheap to use a regulated power supply, and is somewhat inferior to other amps such as PPI and JL Audio (which use regulated power supplies) which will pump out the juice even at voltage drops as low as 10v!  xxMxx... as far as your question goes, the amp should be fine to power your subs.  And if you want to use a cap (Which I highly recommend) the size you need will all depend on how much amperage your alternator puts out.  If you have a weak (average) charging system, don't even think about adding a second battery, because all it will end up doing is adding a dead load to your system.  In other words, your amp will drain the second battery dead and after that you have even less juice to work with than before... Why?... because your alternator is having to charge a dead battery and power an amplifier simultaneously.  In turn, you have a even larger voltage drop to the amplifier.  Instead, try using anywhere from a 5-15F cap.  I personally prefer a Phoenix Gold Titanium Powercore.  One hell of a 15F cap!  You can sustain the voltage you need to drive that amp with an average alternator with this cap, given you run the proper size power wire and ground.  I'd personally use a 0/1 gauge wire with a circuit breaker.  I'd also upgrade my ground wire running from the battery to chassis to AT LEAST 2 gauge but preferably 0/1.  Also, with a set of equivelent ground wires running from the amp and cap SEPERATELY to the same point on the chassis, you can ensure you will not have a problem with voltage drops.  Always make sure to test the spot you are grounding to in comparison with the negative terminal on the battery to determine that you have the best "grounding potential" as possible.  All of this my friend will make sure that amp will be putting out 800w+ continuous since it does not have a regulated power supply.  If you need help with anything, feel free to drop me a line..

-Jesse

jellynutzo@aol.com

Earmark Car Audio - The Leader Loud and Clear

www.earmarkcaraudio.com

xxMxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks jesse, that really give me the idea..I'll go for a bigger cap as you say, possibly 5 - 15F depending on my  budget. One thing that I don't understand is how to test the best grounding potential?
JellyNutz 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2002 at 3:28 AM / IP Logged  
Get a Digital multimeter.  Put one lead of the meter to the negative terminal of the battery, and touch the other lead to areas where you think you would like to place your ground.  Set your meter to impedence (The Omega sign) and check several place in the area to find the one with the least resistance (Lowest reading on the meter).  This will end up being your strongest ground.  Also make sure to scrape all the paint away from the point you are going to ground to, and even use a course piece of sandpaper to make sure you have nothing but bare metal...
xxMxx 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 12, 2002 at 5:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for that..
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic