icon

best amp for $300, channels don’t matter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
Also in response to your other question, I have a 100 watt amp that will pound 4 kicker comp VR's.   Look into it    Memphis hc-100.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 29, 2005 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  

lincolnman69 wrote:
.....I looked around online for a month to find an amp that could run 4-12's and finally I came across a the boss powerdrive series amps......I gotta 3000 watt amp that was bridgeable and 1/2 ohm stable from sonic electronix for 249 dollars shipped and it had enough power that it was blowing rods in 2002 series kicker comp vrs with the gain at only 1/2 on 4 of them......

wrote:
.....i was told that the rods were going when they started making a noise and weren't hitting right any more.......

lincolnman, I think maybe Daryl and his brother Daryl might have been pulling your leg about blowing a rod.  It was probably the head gasket.  What color was the smoke?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
saterdaynight 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
not to interupt a good old fashiond arguement, as they tend to be quite amuseing, but here is my recomendations.
first, i would recomend fosgate amps. you can get them very cheap on ebay and ill let you in on a little tip, if you find a seller that goes by the name of highdesertaudio, that is fosgates factory referbished ebay outlet where you can buy fosgate factory direct with a warenty. i bought a power series 750s witch is 2 chanel that when bridged is 750w rms. love the amp, i actualy have 2 of them. my former system was that amp and 2 fosgate he2 10 subs, very good combo, i was very happy.
i also recomend kicker, but they are a little more expensive, though i have seen one model in paticular that you sould look up on ebay go for about 200 bucks several times, that being the zx1000, a real power house 1000rms
also, Power Acoustik LT Series, (dont laugh) i thought the same thing, till a friend bought one and i installed it for him, i was singing a different tune when my ears tryed to blead, very good amp, also very cheap, less than fosgate referb cept new... at elast on ebay, dont know about the warenty. alot of brands only warenty products purchased from a cirtified dealer, fosgate, kicker, jbl, and a few outhers i know are like that. (one reason i like referb fosgate, u get the warenty and it comes factory direct)
those would be my recomendations. i know power acoustik has some outher series of amps but i have no expereience with them, i would gues they are just as good though.
good luck
speed is my drug of choice, let me drive...
spl144 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
 well allof these are good amps my thought is the sound stream 880.2 you r trying to run subs $279 to your door with 1 year warranty 880 watts continues rms I put one on t 12" JL w3s i was very impressed that power is at 4ohms o ya i dont think there is rods in subs woodland eletronics 218-390-3334
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
wtf?^
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I think he is trying to sell his amp, but the sentences just didnt go together right.       As far as the ZX1000 goes I wouldnt recommend it to any one much like my kx1200 UNLESS they are going to upgrade thier electrical/charging system first.    Both these amps have a draw of 100-150+ amps       not the best for entry level
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
just buy an extension cord for $10 and plug 'em into the wall. thats cool. not very musical, but cool.
soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2005 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
hell...then maybe you can let us know  what color the smoke is after the rods go out.
No1stunna 
Copper - Posts: 47
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  

"14.4volts x 100amps = 1440watts MAX   considering this is a very high quality amp, which even you said it wasnt.     it might be at the top with amps that are 90% efficent "

Jeff chillcot (sorry if it's spelled wrong) is right. Its a basic electronics equasion-----p=IxE

Meaning power=current times voltage

power being wattage, current being amps, and voltage, well is voltage of course.

but for bosses sake, maybe the amp was tested at 30 volts, and really is 3000 watts.  And 3000 watts to any descent subs is earthshaking, unbearably loud sound with  pressure that is like a shotgun blast to the chest. So that being said, the boss simply isnt capable of any of that and obviously isnt 3000 watts, but it is cheap

also, those ratings may be absolute peak, which is roughly 2xmax output at say 10khz for 1 second, which is about %50 more than dynamic peak, multiplied by .7 is roughly rms, so at 3000 watts, about 1500 is still overrated, and about 800-900 is really  max output, and somewhere around 300-400 watts of true rms, Thats just not enough to really blow the rods, not even on 98 octane.

soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2005 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
preach it.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic