3000 Watts will this be enough

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
williamr 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  

skoldspuppy wrote:
Well Lets see. from JLs PDF file for the 1000/1 they recommend you use a 100 amp fuse
For the 450/4 they recommend a 60 amp one so lets add up your total
100 + 100 + 60+ 60+ = 320 amps at full volume all the time with a sine wave
Real world would listening would be 1/3rd the amperage or 106 amps
So a 220 amp alternator will work in the real world, though im a fan of bigger is better if you can afford it
Have a good one
--Skold

Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for.  As far as battery I had to choose yellow top as I am in England and it was the best and only one I could get.  If I go downtown same battery cost 400.00 where as on base get it for 150.00.  Now I guess I might be fine charging 2 yellow top battries with a 220 amp Alt and the power requirments of the engine running as well??

Randall Williams

skoldspuppy 
Silver - Posts: 342
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 1:06 PM / IP Logged  
williamr wrote:

Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for.  As far as battery I had to choose yellow top as I am in England and it was the best and only one I could get.  If I go downtown same battery cost 400.00 where as on base get it for 150.00.  Now I guess I might be fine charging 2 yellow top battries with a 220 amp Alt and the power requirments of the engine running as well??

Randall Williams

You should be fine with what you have, the 2 yellow tops will help when you are playing your system with the car off and a 220 amp alternator will charge it nicely while your cruising the M8 at 194kph

Enjoy

---Skold

2004 Honda Civic Ex 4Dr
Kenwood DDX-7015/W Nav
4 Fosgate T152C
Hifonics Brutus BX1500D
RE XXX 12 in a 4 Cube Snail Shell
williamr 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  
skoldspuppy wrote:
williamr wrote:

Randall Williams

You should be fine with what you have, the 2 yellow tops will help when you are playing your system with the car off and a 220 amp alternator will charge it nicely while your cruising the M8 at 194kph

Enjoy

---Skold

Sir,

1 more quick question for you.  With this setup how big of a fuse should I install within 18 inches of the battery?  As I don't want a meltdown of the car system.  If the Alternator  is 220 amps would I want a 250 Amp fuse or a 200 amp fuse? or less?

Thanks,

Randall Williams 

Blowntweeters 
Silver - Posts: 650
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
i would get 250 or a 300 amp fuse
1974 ford pinto 4 15" punch Z power punch bd 1001 pioneer DEH-6700
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
williamr wrote:
skoldspuppy wrote:
williamr wrote:

Randall Williams

Enjoy
---Skold

Sir,

1 more quick question for you.  With this setup how big of a fuse should I install within 18 inches of the battery?  As I don't want a meltdown of the car system.  If the Alternator  is 220 amps would I want a 250 Amp fuse or a 200 amp fuse? or less?

Thanks,

Randall Williams
Blowntweeters wrote:
i would get 250 or a 300 amp fuse
Without knowing what size power cable you are going to have, Blowntweeters cannot answer that question definitively, as he just did. Here is where you look for your answer.
The CORRECT answer to your question is a question - "What size power cable are you using?" A #8, fuse it for 100A. A #4, fuse it for 150A. A #2, fuse it for 225A. A 1/0, fuse it for 350A.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic