JL 500/5 with 2 JL 12w3v2-D4's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Slammed_Am 
Copper - Posts: 117
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2002 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

This is my first post here, so please be gentle.  lol

My new system will consist of JL Audio's 3 way component system XR653-CS up front and Eclipse Point source 6x9's in the rear. Power will be supplied by a JL Audio 500/5 5 channel amp (100wx2 front, 25 wattsx2 rear, and 250x1 sub) For bottom end I would like to go with the new JL 12w3v2,but here's my question.

I'm after a very good Sound Quality system, but I want to be able to slam out good SPL as well when I'm in the mood. I was thinking going with 2 12w3-D4's . From the specs of JL's site 2 of these subs can be wired to give an amp a 4 ohm mono load.  Would this sound like a good way to go, or should I stick with 1 12w3v2 (a dual 2ohm sub, in order to give the amp a 4 ohm load)??

Thank you in advance,

Steve

bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  
I would go with the 2 12w3-D4's but that sounds like a pretty clean setup.
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2002 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
Obviously, 2 12"'s are going to move more air than almost any single 12, and air moving=SPL. If you can afford it, the double twelves will be your best bet, IMHO.
/NyxBass
bberman1 
Gold - Posts: 2,314
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
Just keep this in mind if you don’t have enough bass you can’t turn it up any more than it already is. But if you have too much you can always turn it down. So it’s always safe to have more bass than you want just for those times when you want SPL
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  

the 25 watts on the 6x9.. I promise, you are not going to like it..

That amp is made for something with a lot of power up front and a little rear fill.. and sub.. which, is really how a system is supposed to sound.. just a little to create a some ambence.. IMO, for the everyday system such as soemthing you described, I wouldn't use the JL 500/5 because of the power on the 6x9.. you will be cranking the gain on the rear channel, over driveing the output and distortion city from the 6x9.. hence, a clean sounding system, except for the 6x9.. on the JL amps, it has been my experience that having the gain turned to about 11 o'clock on the pot is about max output.. anything over and it clips.. badly.. but up to that point, it's a great sounding amp.. anything over, blah blah blah..

I dont' remember what the retail on that amp is.. I sold one, put it and and never sold another one, and I don't know if you are open to other suggestions, but, here's mine anyway.........

Look into the Alpine M500 mono amp and the F340 4 Channel amp.. I have done this set up on anything from an '03 Tahoe with Focal and 4 JL 12W3D4 to a '71 Skylark Convertible with Boston 6.5 and 4 Alpine S-Type 10 DVC and it sound's awesome.. Retail for both will be around $800 ($400 each) but you can't go wrong.. this is my favorite set up in any vehicle.. If I could fit it in my truck I would... but wife... two kids... well, you know the drill...

Good luck and think about it..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2002 at 7:55 PM / IP Logged  

"the 25 watts on the 6x9.. I promise, you are not going to like it.."

Depends on what you're using for. I often use low wattage on rear fills, but I use them as that - rear fills. Low level fill, that doesn't distort imaging. But it's all personal taste.

/NyxBass
F4Pilot 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  

"Depends on what you're using for. I often use low wattage on rear fills, but I use them as that - rear fills. Low level fill, that doesn't distort imaging. But it's all personal taste."

I agree. 

Also, you dont have to go with 6x9's.  You might be trying to make up for mid-bass??  If sound quality is what youre after, go look at Focal or MBQuart.  Otherwise, it seems as if youve made some thoughtful calculations.

02 Odyssey / 99 F4
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2002 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

That is what I was saying about the low level rear fills.. most poeple don't want that and I was just making a suggestion.. there is a HUGE difference in what this system will sound like vs. the two alpine amps.. if he wants something for just a rear fill, I have put in a 4" or a 3.5" speaker.. why in the world would ANYONE use a 6x9 for just a little rear fill.. just a waste.. also, if trying to make up for lack of mid bass, 25 watts on a 6x9 ain't going to do it.. but the focals up front will..

That post was just meant to let the guy know what he was getting.. if I spent $200 on 6x9 and $600 on an amp and whatever on the seps up front and all I heard was the front, I would be a little pissed.. IF (THAT'S "IF") I were an everyday listener.. Most people spend $200 on 6x9,. they wanna hear them..

Dude, if your just looking for a little bit of rear fill for your car, that's cool... go with the JL (I'd still use the alpine and turn the gain down on the rear) but get soemhting other that the 6x9.. that's just wasting money..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Slammed_Am 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for all of your suggestions and opinions!

I currently use Eclipse Point source 4's and 6x9's (the same ones I was planning on carrying on over to my new system). These are the factory sized speakers in my 1988 Grand Am.These are being powered by a Kenwood KAC-746 (35x4) that I pretty much have the sensitivity turned way down on the rears(6x9's). For low end I have a JL 12w0 that's powered by a Sony XM-502X that feeds the sub with 130wx1. I also have an Eclipse DSP module (with infinity 3 1/2" center channel speaker) as well as an Eclipse Headunit and Cd Changer. 

I've had this system for a number of years and have been showing my car at car shows, and people are getting tired of seeing the same equipment year after year.

Anywho...Since I'm just planning on recycling the 6x9's from my old system, it's alot better than spending the mucho $$$ on a new pair.  not being able to hear them isn't all that important to me since what I'm after is having it sound like your at a concert, looking foward at the stage where the vocals and instruments are coming from.

Keep your ideas and opinions flowing and thanks again for everything.

So what's the general consensus.....two-12's instead of one?

Slammed_Am 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  

I took  a look at the Alpine amps and I was a little more impressed by the MRV-F540 (80x4).TheM500 is pretty cool too.  Another plus with going with Alpine apms is that I can get one hell of a deal on them since we sell them at my place of employment. hmmm

Are the MRV-F540 and the MRD-M500 identical cosmetically? I know the F540 is a little longer, but other than that are they the same looking?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic