DEI Viper 550 ESP 2001 Ford Diesel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
techkdb 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

Vehicle = Ford 2001 Diesel 4 Door

Alarm = DEI Viper 550ESP with 3 extra units (number unknown) 2 of which control rolling up and down of the windows (1 model does front left and right windows and 1 does back left and right windows) the third unit closes the rear slider but does not open it.

Installed by some guys at Audio Express and they left town.

Problem:

Holding down both lock and unlock button is supposed to start the truck.

Windows all roll up as designed (if they are down), it winds up like it want to start, cranks the motor a few times and then stops.  This will cycle three times but never actually starts to a motor running state.

Observations:

1. Windows no longer roll down using the remote. They used to ...

2. The glow plug light no longer comes "on" on the dash.  The glow plug light used to come on prior to trying to start and system waited for glow plug light to go out before cranking  the engine.  It now just seems to want to "jump" right in and crank the engine over without the normal glow plug delay.

3. Locking/unlocking with remote works, BUT the windows no longer roll up (including slider).

4. With engine running trying to switch over to running off remote (so I could remove my keys from the ignition and take them with into the store) no longer works.  Truck dies when I roll the ignition back from running to remove them.

Two things have happened that seemed odd:

I'm a computer tech of 20+ years but not an alarm guy. 

Meaning if you start out slow I think I can keep up. 

I have searched the treads on this site and found countless similar problems and read them all but none of them seemed to have the exact same elements of my problem.

I have printed the DEI Viper 550ESP manual and will begin reading it.

I would appreciate any and all solutions with details you might be willing to provide.

Thank you in advance!

mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 10, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
If the Wait to Start Lite  does NOT come ON with & withOUT Key....Check Fuses or you may have to take to Dealer.
If Wait to Start comes ON with Key & NOT Remote Start....Check Ignition Wires from R / S.
If it Cranks   & NO Start with R / S  .... Check Ignition Wires from R / S and Program TACH if it is hook-up
Page 8 & 25 Install Manual
MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
palouse md 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 2:27 AM / IP Logged  
having installed the 550 ESP do your self a favor and take it to a reputable DEI dealer as that system is of high quality, but only if done by an installer who cares.  you can read the owners manual but will not fix your problems, will only be useful when the system is working properly.
md
techkdb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

The unit is doing strnge things now ...

When I rock the door open to an almost over extended position (i.e. rocking open past it's normal open position) I notice that the relays in the door (2 530T's) click and some of the relays under the dash click as well.

All the wire appear to be attached

So now I'm wondering how to get the drivers door pannel off ?

techkdb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  
Is there a way that these units (DEI 550ESP, 530T) can be tested  - either at a pro shop or individual at home work bench?
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you may be pulling on wires ran thru door Boot......Pull Kick Panel & Door Panel to inspect
MO
techkdb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

mo12v wrote:
Sounds like you may be pulling on wires ran thru door Boot......Pull Kick Panel & Door Panel to inspect

Any guidence on how the door panel comes off on  the 2001 or what you might be able to recall about how other Ford truck panels come  off. 

Don't want to go in there hanking and pulling and break something ..

mo12v 
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Pop Power Window Switch Cover up...............1 Phillips Screw Inside

Pop Reflector Lite Lens Off on rear of Door Panel.......1 Phillips Screw Inside
Pop Mirror Bolt Cover off on top of Door Panel & LIFT UP on Door Panel to Remove..........

MO
brison 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

Installed by some guys at Audio Express and they left town.??

Not from the richmond va area are you??

techkdb 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2005 at 9:28 PM / IP Logged  
brison wrote:

Installed by some guys at Audio Express and they left town.??

Not from the richmond va area are you??

Omaha Nebraska - Really nice guys ...  They do the one "dollar install" - right up the street from the dealership where I bought the truck.  Don't get me wrong, I'm sure if I could make contact with the guy (installer) or manager they would remember me and help me out.  They did lots of work for me and I paid well. 

Now I'll a step above homeless and keep the truck to move my new home.

And the reason I'm on here trying to understand the equipment so as to be able to fix or the loose wire, etc ..

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic