icon

Window Rollup problem with DEI 790XV

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Thinkster 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  

I recently installed an Alpine Window Module in a 98 Chevy Tahoe, to roll DOWN the windows using Ch. 2 Output on a Viper 790XV Alarm.  This works fine!

I then installed another window module (the common, generic brand ones) to take care up rolling UP the windows when the alarm is armed.   Before connecting the orange wire (trigger) to the alarm's armed output, I tested it by touching it to ground.  Roll up was tested o.k.   After conecting it to armed output (which also goes to starter kill relay) I tested it and half the time it fails to rollup the windows, or rolls up one, but not the other.   This only happens while it's arming.   If It fails to rollup, I can disconnect the trigger lead from the alarm's output and reconnect it and it will work!   It seems like the problem only occurs when the alarm is arming.  As though too much stuff is going on at that moment that it causes the window module to falsely think the windows are already rolled up.   If the armed output were delayed for a few seconds after it arms, I have a feeling it would work. 

This one is frustrating!  Anyone have any ideas?  I already tried using a relay thinking the armed ground output from the alarm was not strong enough, and I tried another window module, but no luck...

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2002 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  
Use a relay with that wire as the trigger
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
Thinkster 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

I did use a relay already as the trigger as I had mentioned,  that's why I think it's a timing issue or something weird...

jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 4:57 AM / IP Logged  
You do not mention that you are using a relay above except you say that your alarms armed output is also being used for your starter kill relay.  So again, what you need to do is use your vehicles armed output to trigger a seperate relay.  This new relay, when triggered by the vehicles armed output, will in turn trigger your window roll up module by connecting your orange trigger wire form your window roll up module to chassis ground (which is what you said makes it work)
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
dcash18 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2002 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Also, make sure you diode isolate the ground when armed output if you are using it for multiple purposes
Thinkster 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2002 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify,  I had tried this:   I cut the orange wire that was going to the starter kill relay and hooked that up to a new relay (86).   The rest of the relay like this:   85=+12v,  30=GND (Chasis),  87=New Output to Trigger Window Module.     Now the relay of course activates and a stronger Ground is now output to the Window module,  but still the same problem.     So it's not like the alarm is failing to output or that the new relay fails to output,  it's just that when it first outputs, at this same moment, the siren chirps, the parking light flashes, the doors lock and the LED starts flashing.    I'm thinking that all these things going on at once draw enough current that it falses the window module into thinking that the windows are rolled up as the module relies on current sensing to determine this.   A friend says maybe the Alarm Ground may be bad,  so next I guess I will try a thicker ground wire and a more solid piece of metal just in case.   But any other suggestions are welcome.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic