the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

False Info?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
Pick up "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook", by Vance Dickason. You can get the latest version of it a Parts Express...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 3:32 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I'm not too good for ANYTHING that sounds good! No matter what the price. I'm a working stiff JUST like y'all!...edit... 
Oh, and my speakers were the 50 inch, 30K versions, NOT the 50K, 72 inch versions... and I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less than that for them... False Info? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image. As I said, Tom is friend of mine... ahhhh, to have friends in the audio business!

With out inflection here it is hard to tell who is joking. I certainly was!

I am very interested in all that you provide haem. It's just a little ribbing when bored.

By the way those are some fantastic looking enclosures there. I too would be very interested in a build like that once I own my homeFalse Info? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
I truly was joking, and I certainly took yours as joking as well... there was nothing offensive to me in your post. I am sorry if it came across that way in my reply. Some good humored ribbing is quite enjoyable, and is part of what keeps me coming back to this forum.
Thanks for the compliment. Their construction was QUITE involved, and the payoffs are certainly worth the efforts expended. I'll draw a quick diagram of the internals, and post it soon. The numbers I post MAY not be exact, but I'll try to remember them as best I can.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
False Info? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
There's a pic of the internal workings. Keep in mind this is the second one - the "New, Improved" version. The first of the pair, was larger, had slightly more line in it, and was actually tuned lower. We did discover that, while we were aiming for an Fs of around 16 to 18Hz, our Fs was consderably lower than we were actually aiming for. This we attributed to the friction in such a long line. I might also add that hitting an Fs LOWER than desired is not always a bad thing... False Info? - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
The first enclosure also did not have the rounded internal corners, and it is possible to hear this fact. At the lowest frequencies, and at REALLY high levels, you can hear the air turbulence in the line. This happens as the air moves around square corners. For normal listening levels, though, it is a not issue.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
Dave didn't Infinity make a version of this in mid 1970s? And aren't these things insanely inefficiant? I think the Infinity was packaged with a 2500 RMS amp for each speaker.
There is no such thing as free installation!
haemphyst 
Posted: November 29, 2005 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  
Well, possibly, as the transmission line is nothing new. The technology has existed for many years, and even Blose today offers something like in the Acoustimass woofer. A woofer driven line, attached to a buried woofer. The sound ONLY comes off the front of the woofer, and is coupled to the room through the line. (Those SUCK by the way... but I digress...)
I am sure there have been many commercial releases of various flavors of TL subs, and I would be willing to bet that the SAF doomed them from the beginning.
Inefficient? Not that I have noticed, specifically. Their efficiency is on a par with a driver in a vented enclosure, just deeper (WAY deeper) response, and better transients. As I mentioned, these are not designed to get even CLOSE to frequencies demanding transient capability, but when we were testing them, they perfomed admirably. These particular systems are not anything special in the output department, but with enough power (350wpc is what is driving them now - Adcom GFA-565 monoblock amps) they have completely useable output capabilities...
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic