icon

you dont need to be a pro to tune an amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dohckiller808 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

to properly set gains you need a scilioscope<sp but youll need to be pretty ainel to go and use it.

ive seen people confused on getting their gains right on their amps and blaming things on it well here you go. this goes for both sub and mid/high amps

a very simple way to set gains is like this:

-set deck to flat settings bass, treb controles zeroed/ no loud

-turn amp gain all the way down

-play a good strong recorded cd

-raise the stereo volume until you hear distortion. it wont be to loud but that would be the limit of the stereos signal. then turn a few dials down from there. you should be about 3/4 up on your deck

-now raise the gain on the amp untill you hear distortion again. that would be the amps limit.

-now your gain is set. use deck or eq controls for fine tuning to your taste.

-enjoy!

now if you get whine or anything wierd its your install. clean that shhh up. dont blame the amps.

150SPL musical in a civic coupe
fozzz 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

Ummmmmmmmmmmm? What ever works  for ya.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Huh... never made the connection!
I am REALLY curious to know if you did a search on "gain setting" BEFORE you spent all the time you did to write that...
Thanks, Mr. Obvious, you're a lifesaver.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, thanks for re-posting this information, but your advice is not completely correct.  Use test tones recorded at 0db, not a "good strongly recorded CD" whatever that is.  Using a recording will set the input gain level for that recording, not for all cases.  Using an oscilloscope is required for absolute precision, but not many people have access to one unless they work in a shop.  And what is "ainel"?  Also, since when is setting gains the same as "tuning and amp"?  Input level setting has nothing to do with any tuning I'm aware of, it is simply the basic setup required for any amplifier.

Support the12volt.com
dohckiller808 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  
ok ANAL people. there is no real meaning of "tuning" so setting gains or setting crossovers are considered "tuning" in the business. when a costomer walks into the shop and pays you to "tune" his/her amps what do you do? set the gains and crossovers right? my god stop acting like engineers and help out the beginner peeps who dont understand 0db recording bullshhh and frequency tune cause you know if a disk is recorded loud or not right or do YOU need a db meter for that? the info i put out came from rockford training seminars its a quick easy way to "TUNE" an amp. just a guideline to follow not to be set in stone or anything so cool down all you badass pros.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  

dohckiller, some things were brought up about your advice that needed to be addressed.  It's necessary on this forum to get the proper information out there.  No need to be overly sensitive about it, although it's understandable to get a little hurt until you harden to the realities of forum-posting...

Using an oscilloscope is and will always be the most accurate way to perform the very important function of setting amp gains. But for lack of using that, then using test tones is crucial.   HERE is a thread where I advised, like you did, to use a regular music CD to do this.  You will see that I was corrected afterwards, and it's advice I learned from.  After that I found that listening for the clipped signal of a sine wave tone is FAR easier and more accurate than trying to hear it using music....and that the dynamic levels of music can be off quite a bit in a music source compared to a test tone at a precise 0db level.

After that I experimented with the advice.   Here is a thread where I pointed out a very good free program that anyone can use to make a test tone CD.  Once the test CD is made, it is a simple and quick procedure to establish the level matching of deck to amplifier.

More is written about this subject in these past threads:  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/search.asp?KW=gain&SM=1&SI=TC&FM=2&OB=1&Submit=Start+Search

Listening for the clipped signal will in most cases "get 'er done".  But in a case where the amp's power is greater than the amount of power the driver can safely handle, following up with a reading of output voltage using a DMM is a necessity.  There are threads contained in the above searches that describe this completely, with the necessary Ohm's Law calculations discussed.

"You don't need to be a pro" is absolutely correct.  I'm not a pro, but by using the proper procedures I could pass for one!

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dohckiller808 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

stevdart- thats great info. sorry i came off wrong. did you guys ever fine tune a system with test tones and when music came through it just didnt sound right? when i tune customers stereos i ask them to give me a pile of there cds and tune from there. wont work in the competition world of sound but it satisfies the customer when tuned to their taste of music. 

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

dohckiller808 wrote:
 did you guys ever fine tune a system with test tones and when music came through it just didnt sound right?

Using your own testing procedure will save you a lot of time, and you'll be sure to turn the car over to your client with the knowledge that you've set the gains where they should be.  You can use the client's CDs to demonstrate the system for them if you wish, but that still would take longer than using your own sources.

In most cases, the loudness of a recorded CD is a bit lower than the 0db standard that the gains were set at.  The system would sound like it could be louder.  This is where you could, instead of using the customer's CDs, use two of your own CDs to demonstrate how one will sound louder than another.  These could be shop "reference" sources that you've found and are accustomed to using.  The loud one will have been recorded at 0db or close to it, the other one could be recorded at maybe -1 to -3 db.  The customer should know that the system is set up to play ANY music source safely and that the health and long life of their investment is of the upmost importance.  So by being aware that some sources won't be as loud as others, they should by this time understand the reason why and accept that you've taken their investment to heart.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
well..just to point out a few things in my experiance. i've tried setting gains with a burnt cd, regular music cd and test tones. i also tested the car on the same spl meter in the same shop with the car running so all conditions were the same. the first, burnt cd. i lost spl. i turned the gain to set it where it should be and surprislying i lost spl..not to mention..sounded like crap. the regular cd, (was metallica, i know there music) it was better, i was able to adjust things and it sounded alot better. i gained 1 db. then i used test tones. couple (50hz, 60hz, and 70hz) i will admit..it sounded the same as the music cd as far as sound. but i gaind another db to hit my 140.4. and it was alot easyer to set because you've only got the bass to listen to. sure, might take a min or two longer because you may need to disconnect your other amps. but as you can see, it was worth my time. not saying you can't  set the gains with a music cd, but it's easyer to hear if your useing test tones. and a burnt cd....stay away from all together, to many variables in that, bit rate of the track, how's it's recorded, and in some cases, the cd (so i've been told)
Tri County KustomZ
certified installer
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2005 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
And dohckiller808, many of us on here ARE engineers, and we value accurate, complete information. 
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic