icon

box inside of a box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
menace2sobriety 
Silver - Posts: 394
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
i know when you put a sub box inside of a car it changes the response of a box. and i know in some cases when you open the window it can improve or decrease that response. any how i built a sealed box with 2-12's. for my wifes car  it was built to the manufacturers recomended size. we went for a drive and she stoped at a freinds house. left the car on and the stereo at a moderate volume. and when she opened the door the car started shaking.  she closed the door and it quit! i then opened the door and left it open and could not believe the change. the impulse was so much stronger,deeper,cleaner and seemed quite a bit louder. i never heard that big of a difference before. and ive been doing this for 14 years.  anyone else with results like this?
bassrider20hz 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
maybe its because of cabin air that is moved with the door open there is way better chance for the air that your sub makes to move more freely. also maybe if its a small car.    I have a honda prelude and this same thing happens when i open the door. also when i drive with the windows up it reduces my bass but only on the really low tones so now i always drive with the windows cracked a little about 4 inches just so my bass sounds good even though if its cold outsidebox inside of a box - Last Post -- posted image..
menace2sobriety 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 10:36 PM / IP Logged  

*hiccup*hey thanx sprahl85.  the car i have it in is my wifes 96' taurus, so its not small noir real big. 

i had this topic in the general discussion, now it's in car audio forum hmm.

chiliphilli1968 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2005 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
Every car i've had a system in seems to hit even harder when the door is open or the windows are down. I believe that it does have something to do with the cabin air pressure. All that pressure when the windows are up and nowhere to go. Also, It depends on where thw box is located in the trunk. How close to the rear of the trunk makes a difference, as well as turning the speakers to face the rear of the vehicle.
Chilliphilli1968
menace2sobriety 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 2:23 AM / IP Logged  

usually i have noticed changes too with the number of systems i have installed. but nothing so dramatic. its like night and day.   it has to do with my box was not matched to the air space in her car. now in a smaller car it may be a perfect match.

this is for stevdart : does your Taurus do this with your sub? i know the sub and box you have is about 1/4 the size im using. did you match it to the car air space or just to the sub?

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  

menace, I just built the box to the recommended size for that sub, .8 cu ft IIRC.  It gets very loud, so I can't even imagine trying two subs in there (too old to give up that kind of trunk space!....need room for my beach chairs).  I don't get any difference whatsoever with windows or doors open or closed, whether it's full loud or fairly quiet.  You can just hear it from the outside real well when the window is open.  Nothing changes inside the car.  Maybe if it was twice the sub system this would happen to me too.

But you'll notice the sub faces sideways across the trunk.  Maybe that's the key (?)

I don't think you have to match anything to car air space...do you?  Just how much room you want to give up and how loud you can stand it to be.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2005 at 11:03 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

need room for my beach chairs

Is that beach you are talking about have to do with corn fields?

I notice a difference when my back seat is folded down, but when my windows are open, it just makes for more road noise.

menace2sobriety 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:

I don't think you have to match anything to car air space...do you? 

years ago i remember david clark calling this the tranfer function.  vance dickason  i believe has published the formula to match the box, sub, and the car/truck cubic ft. but i cannot seen to find it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic