Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Thanxs Kevin, for the input.
art
tsmithlxix 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

If you haven't started this project yet, good, just get a simple electronic flasher (from your local auto parts joint for emergency flashers) and hook it up to your "Neg When Armed" wire.

I've done the same thing with six LEDs in the headlights, fog lamps and reverse lights of my '00 DTS.  They all falsh when my alarm is on.  Power hasn't been an issue yet because I've left my car sitting for up to a week while on vacation and it started fine when I returned.

dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2005 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  
If you're going to use that many LEDs (assuming you're using bare LEDs and not built-in resistor limited ones),
you could do something like this:
Adding LEDs to alarm output - Page 2 -- posted image.
The resistor may not even be needed, since the voltage is divided among all 6 LEDs, so each one would get a bit over 2V.
Depends on the forward voltage rating of the LEDs you're planning on using; if it's less, then you need to add a small resistor to limit the current to keep the LEDs from blowing out.
This won't draw any extra power other than what you need for the LEDs, and I'm assuming the alarm module output is handling the flashing, which I assume you'd want. If you want it on continuously, then just find a signal output that goes to 12V when you want them on.
vibe03 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  

Again, thanxs for all this great help.  I want to use my LED OUTPUT from my alarm module and the LEDs have build-in resistors. I want to run these 6 LEDs in parallel to give them all the needed 12 volts.  I would like the LEDs to flash.  With that, what is the best way to do this?  I am going for 2 LEDs in each front corner beam (using the winshield to enhance the lighting) and one LED in each headlight.

art
tsmithlxix 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
vibe03 wrote:

Again, thanxs for all this great help.  I want to use my LED OUTPUT from my alarm module and the LEDs have build-in resistors. I want to run these 6 LEDs in parallel to give them all the needed 12 volts.  I would like the LEDs to flash.  With that, what is the best way to do this?  I am going for 2 LEDs in each front corner beam (using the winshield to enhance the lighting) and one LED in each headlight.

Did you happen to read my previous post?

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like you're doing the same thing tsmithtxix did, so you can just do what he used. Just have to make sure you get the electronic type of flasher mentioned, so it's load independent, otherwise they won't flash with the small current draw of the LEDs compared to the normal incandescent lights.
If you want to have them flash in time with your existing one and keep power draw to a minimum, you could also wire it this way- Adding LEDs to alarm output - Page 2 -- posted image.
vibe03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  
tsmithtxix, sorry about that just didn't see your post.  So, the only thing the electronic flasher will do is make the LEDs brighter.  If so, is there much of a difference?  Dualsport and tsmithtxix thanks for the input and dealing with my many questions.  I am just trying to get this electronic stuff down.
art
tsmithlxix 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 7:34 PM / IP Logged  
vibe03 wrote:
tsmithtxix, sorry about that just didn't see your post.  So, the only thing the electronic flasher will do is make the LEDs brighter.  If so, is there much of a difference?  Dualsport and tsmithtxix thanks for the input and dealing with my many questions.  I am just trying to get this electronic stuff down.

No, it doesn't make the LEDs brighter.  Your LEDs will only be as bright as they're supposed to be with a 12VDC input.  The only thing the flasher does is make your LEDs flash at whatever rate the flasher flashes.  If I remember correctly (sorry, it's been a couple of years since I installed it) there are 3 posts on the flasher.  I have a constant 12VDC going to one post of the flasher, the LEDs' positive lead to the second post, and I have my "NEG WHEN ARMED" wire from my alarm going to the 3rd flasher post.  This way, when I arm my alarm, the flasher is activated and my LEDs begin to flash.  No they do not flash at the same rate as the alarm LED; they're totally independent from that.  But, ya know, who's gonna notice that, besides me... and maybe you... and whomever else is reading this thread.  :o)

I also remember that I wrapped some foam around the flasher when I was done too, because the clicking of the flasher is pretty loud and you could actually hear it outside the car.  I thought that was a little ghetto, so I added the foam as a little sound insulation.  I know, that's a little ghetto too but only I know it's there... and now you... and whomever else is reading this thread.  :o)

dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2005 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, the electronic flasher doesn't make the LEDs brighter; think of it as a switch; when you apply power across it, the switch will just keep opening and closing, giving you the flashing feature.
Advantage of using it is that it's simple to hook up, and maybe more rugged than using the transistor, since you don't have to worry about static damage when handling it while unconnected.
It'll use more power, since it uses a mechanical relay to do the switching, needing power for the relay coil. The transistor wouldn't use any extra power, so if you want to minimize the drain on the battery, that would help.
The flash rate and on/off time of the LEDs will be probably different from using the alarm's LED output as the control, you'd have to see which one you like better.
A benefit of using the alarm LED output might be to allow you to see the LEDs from a distance for a status indication, which could come in handy sometimes.
I just like using these transistors for everything because I bought a bagful for 10c a piece, and they're pretty useful for different purposes. Just takes more care when wiring them up, because they're easily zapped with static until connected to the circuit. The flasher makes for a more foolproof installation, since it wouldn't be prone to that.
So you have two possibilities to play with- Adding LEDs to alarm output - Page 2 -- posted image.
vibe03 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2005 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Great...  Choices are good.  Now the hardest part, flasher or transistor.  

Adding LEDs to alarm output - Page 2 -- posted image.

art
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic