icon

Viper 791 no start with key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scout238 
Member - Posts: 25
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 4:23 PM / IP Logged  

Alright so I am installing the 791 in my 97 Saturn SL1, and everything is going well.... Except for the fact that I can't start it.

Now I already triple checked my wiring on the satt... and it's right. Green to the key side and purple to the starter side. The problem is the start kill doesn't turn off. I have to unplug the 12-pin plug from the brain in order to start the car by key. I checked the wires are the satt and I get 12v to the green but not to the purple when alarm is disarmed. I only get 12v to purple when the brain is unplugged. Remote start works. Any ideas?

Also another possible unrelated problem, the brake switch doesn't trigger the alarm... But it will trigger the remote start shutdown!! Any ideas on that one?

Thanks for the help!

-Nathan

scout238 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

So I go out to my car to take off... and now it won't start unless I use the remote start. Unplugging the brain doesn't help. I'm starting to think there is a wiring problem, but I don't see it.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the orange wire on the 12 pin harness might be either shorted to ground or grounded.   Try disconnecting the ribbon harness from the relay pack if you can start the car with the key then that's the problem.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
scout238 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
That did work... sorta. The first time when I had the key in the On position and unplugged it, it cranked. Then I left it unplugged and went and got gas, try to start... didn't work like normal. I had to plug it back in at the gas station and remote start it. Still maybe my ground(orange on 12-pin)? Is the relay always starter kill until told? I was thinking it may since it wasn't connected and still killed it....
cntrylvr79 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
The orange wire on the 12pin is not supposed to be hooked to anything unless you have a window controller, a voice module, or something along those lines.   Oh and by the way the brake switch doesn't trigger the alarm with dei systems.
scout238 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2006 at 10:48 PM / IP Logged  
Oh I thought the brake switch did... my bad. I assumed on the orange... but I will double check the wiring on the 12-pin tomorrow morning. Thanks!
scout238 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
Good guess! Ungrounded the orange wire and it works great now. But then the stupid hood pin broke... plastic :/
scout238 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so now I got out to my car again... and it doesn't start up! I can ground the orange wire and then unground it... I can hear something happening but it doesn't make a difference in starting. Is there anything else I could try? It's getting frustrating to have to remote start everytime....
cntrylvr79 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  

Have you checked all the fuses both in the car and under the hood?  The only thing I can think of is a blown fuse or try holding the lock switch and cranking the car.  I know it sounds out there but it worked on another saturn.  ONe last question is does the car even crank or no?

cntrylvr79 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2006 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok so I'm not being allowed to edit my post, just found something else out.  The car may have a factory start kill that isn't being deactivated properly.  Next time the car wont start with the key.  Get out shut the door put the key in the drivers door and manually unlock the door.  Try starting it again should hopefully start right up.  If this works let me know we'll figure something out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic