the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need for an External Starter Kill Relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gyropilot 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2006 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

I'm installing a Clarion Ungo SR6000 remote start / alarm this weekend.  It's made by DEI for Clarion and is identical to the Viper 791XV, complete with a satellite relay pack for the starter, ignition, and accessory circuits.  The satellite relay pack is connected to the main alarm unit via a ribbon cable.

The install manual also explains that once the satellite relay pack is wired to the vehicle, it essentially takes over the function of controlling the starter... the ignition key no longer sends current directly to the starter.  So obviously when the ignition key is turned, it's requesting the satellite relay pack to energize the starter.

The manual further states that anti-grind protection is provided by the satellite relay pack (it can be disabled if desired).

I'm a little confused about whether or not I need an external starter kill relay for this system.  The main unit of the alarm system has a standard orange ground-when-armed wire, and the install manual mentions it's used for an "optional" starter kill relay if desired.

it would seem to me that since the satellite relay pack is controlling the starter, *surely* it wouldn't energize the starter via the ignition key (or by trying to hot wire the vehicle) if the alarm system where armed... right?  Neither the owner's or install manual specifically state one way or the other.

If it won't allow the starter to be energized when the alarm is armed, there's no need to add an external starter kill relay to such a system because that would be duplication... correct?

Any of you professional Viper 791 installers know one way or the other?

Thanks in advance,

John L.

97f150ext 
Copper - Posts: 104
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 9:25 AM / IP Logged  
you wont need an external starter kill, its built in to that relay pack.  there are two starter wires on that pack.  cut the starter wire and one wire goes key side and the other goes starter side.  then whenever you lock (arm) the system, the starter wire in interupted thus giving you starter kill.
Geeque 
Silver - Posts: 310
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

I think the green wire from relay pacy goes to key side and purple from relay pack goes to starter side.

Gary Kline
MECP Master Technician
catalin capota 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
That starter kill is also useful for anti-grinding when remotely started.
gyropilot 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info everyone... I really appreciate the quick responses.

Have a great weekend,

John L.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic