icon

JL 300/4 Speaker Distortion

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sh0wty 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Hello Folks, Newbie here trying to see if I can get some help in fixing my system somehow.
Its on a 1997 Ford Expedition w/o Mach System.
My System:
Pioneer Deck DEH-840MP (Decent deck)
4 Pioneer Speakers (TS-A6870R 6X8 3-WAY 50W RMS (REAR) -Pioneer TS-A6880R 6 x 8 4-Way 50W RMS (FRONT))
Just Installed - JL 300/4 to power my speakers..
Of course after the installation, I was told the JL was too powerful for the Pioneer Speakers, since the JL puts out 75 watts RMS, so now I was told I have to find more powerful speakers.. Funny how they didnt tell me this before the install.. Anyway
I tried to play with the amp and adjust it. I have dealt with some amps before back in the day, and I have played with the 'gain' levels for adjustment. However, With the JL 300/4, I could not find the actual 'gain' adjuster. I set all the settings on the radio to 0.
I have included a picture below of the controls of the JL 300/4. Maybe you can tell me what I should adjust.
JL 300/4 Speaker Distortion -- posted image.
As for my sound right now, The rear were set to only highs (THE HPF Set to on), and the front speakers distort after setting the volume to about 30 (When the max is about 50). I took pictures of the wiring of the amp as well, which to my surprise may be the problem. The front of the amp seemed to have been bridged, which is why distortion may be high because of too much power being placed on the speakers?
Here are the pictures I took. The first is the wiring for the front of the amp and the second picture is the rear wiring.
FRONT
REAR
I hope you guys can guide me in the right direction on what I should do or look for.
Thanks for your time.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  

Didn't you get a manual with that amp?  If not, download it http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/7111.pdf.  "Each input section contains a pair of RCA-type input jacks, an input voltage switch, and an input sensitiviy rotary control".  That rotary control (screw) is the gain.

Did you have this installed?  If so, did you ask any of these questions of them?  The front speaker wiring is not bridged, but it appears that both speakers are connected to the right channel.  Indeed, this is a parallel connection and puts a 2 ohm impedance (I'm assuming those are 4 ohm speakers) on one channel.  But it should not be too low of a per-channel load on the amp.  The wires should be the same way the rear ones appear to be wired.

The wiring is shown in the manual as well as procedures for adjustments.  Two things I'd recommend an immediate upgrade on:  the front set of speakers and the RCAs.

Read the manual completely and let the forum know if there is something that you don't understand.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sh0wty 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
I got the manual thanks to your link.
I did have it installed. When I picked it up, it sounded decent, all the settings on the radio were set to negatives (Bass, Treble, Highs, Mids, Lows). I set them a bit higher and the distortion was too much to bear. I asked what has to be done to correct this distortion, I was told to get new speakers that can handle more RMS.
I have read the manual as you told me and from what I have understood, I should do a couple of things..
1. Change the wiring on the front speakers as they are installed in the rear.
2. Adjust the input sensitivity control lower (Until better speakers are purchased).
3. Change the RCA's.
tomfin2000 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

I'd love to know why the installer wired both front speakers to one channel.   The only logical explanations that come to mind are a bad amp (the other channel is dead) or bad drugs.

As for the gain, flip the "input voltage" switch to "low" and use a screwdriver to turn the "input. sens." dial.  That's your gain control.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  

Changing the RCA would be last priority.  The highest priority is to put in a pair of components in the front that will not only be at least the RMS power capability as the amp produces, but that will provide a quality sound to go with the quality amplifier.  You may as well have a Profile amp in there at this point.  At least trade up to a higher quality coaxial, but I wouldn't even suggest that baby step.  Get a pair of components that are rated 75 watts RMS or higher, preferably higher.

And, you will need to keep your deck controls at flat or below, nothing in the + ranges.  Do a JL 300/4 Speaker Distortion -- posted image. search of this forum for "gain" under topics and you will find loads of good info.  But until you get capable speakers into this car, the amp will most likely be sending your Pioneers to an early grave.  And the sound will suck in the meantime.  Setting the gain by ear, using test tones, means that you will be giving those speakers full power using a sine wave, which will be well over their thermal power handling capacity.  At this point, until the replacement speakers are installed, I would say just keep the controls to minimum (no +s) and only adjust the gain screw up from the 0 point enough that the sound is clean when the deck is playing at full tilt, or at about 3/4 of the way.

When you get the new speakers, which should include higher power-handling for the rear as well, you will then have the opportunity to use this system the way it should be used, with complete use of all the controls.  Stay off of any bass boosts, though.  You don't have anything to supply bass (subwoofer) so don't try to make bass happen where it doesn't exist.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sh0wty 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the info guys.
So I know I have to purchase some new speakers for my truck.
From what I have read from the posts I should.
1. Adjust the gains and settings on the radio to 0 or negatives
2. Rewire the wiring on the front channels.
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

sh0wty wrote:
I did have it installed. When I picked it up, it sounded decent, all the settings on the radio were set to negatives (Bass, Treble, Highs, Mids, Lows). I set them a bit higher and the distortion was too much to bear. I asked what has to be done to correct this distortion, I was told to get new speakers that can handle more RMS.

Please tell me that you will NEVER go back to that shop again.

Also, getting new speakers is ONE answer to correct the distortion, not the only one.   By lowering the input sensitivity (gain) you can effectively send 50w RMS to your speakers and they should sound fine.   You'll just be using 2/3 of your amp's capability instead of 100% of it.  If you want to use 100% of it, then you need to get  a decent set of comps like Steve suggested.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that you have to even deal with all of this.  If you bought your stuff off eBay and then installed it yourself (or had a buddy install it), then yeah, this is all part of the learning curve.   However, if you buy your stuff from a shop and pay to have it installed professionally, then you shouldn't have to put up with this kind of aggravation.

tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

stevdart wrote:
When you get the new speakers, which should include higher power-handling for the rear as well, you will then have the opportunity to use this system the way it should be used, with complete use of all the controls.  Stay off of any bass boosts, though.  You don't have anything to supply bass (subwoofer) so don't try to make bass happen where it doesn't exist.

Also, make sure your crossovers (filter frequencies) are set on both the front and the rear speakers.  You mentioned that the filter is set to "HP" which is good.  Start with the "95Hz" setting with the 24db slope and then slowly work your way down from 95Hz until you start to hear distortion.  You probably shouldn't go below 80Hz with a 24db slope on those speakers.  You'll have little, it any, low bass, but you won't have distortion either.

sh0wty 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Well Im done with the messing with.
I put the speaker wiring where it was supposed to be.
BEFORE
AFTER
I adjusted the gain levels as you guys said and I must say it sounds alot better than before with higher volume. I still gotta mess with the settings more a bit, but I can say that you guys helped me out alot.
One question I have. I am wondering why the hell they would put both speakers to one channel, I was thinking it was the other channel wasnt working which is why they did this. But after the re-wiring, they both work great. My question is, How can one know if a channel isnt working properly.
tomfin2000 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2006 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  

Believe me, if one of your amp's channels is blown, you'll know.

I have to tell you though, after re-reading your posts and taking a closer look at your pictures, I'm concerned with what gauge power wire was run from your battery to your amp, how it was run, and what type of fuse was used (near the battery).  This just looks like a complete and total hack job.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic