icon

High Current amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Split 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  
What happened to these amps?Are they obsolete pr they are just being replaced by the class-D amps?
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Zapco's competition line ALL high current.

www.zapco.com

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
What amps are you referring to?  Like capable of 1/2 ohm loading?  I thought that the class D amps capable of 1 ohm loads were "high current".
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
I thought that too...  I just didn't want to sound stupid.  I thought maybe something was around before I was alive.
That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  

I believe he is talking about the 1/2 ohm amplifiers. I would consider the 1 ohm stable amplifiers to be high current too! That is true though. I use to see those 1/2 stable amplifiers all the time, and now it's just the 1 ohm...

Not saying that the 1/2 ohm amplifiers don't exist anymore, but they have certainly died out considerably. It's been a while since I've seen one of these amps.

By the way, those Zapco amplifiers are VERY nice. Of course, they are all 1 ohm stable... All of the mono d amplifiers nowadays are "high current".

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 4:46 AM / IP Logged  
He might be talking about amps like the old Orion HCCA's that were high current (but needed lots of power). The class D's are more "efficient" and aren't as hard on the alternator. That's why they have dwindled away, or that's what I've been told.
'85 Toy
willdkartunes 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 5:04 AM / IP Logged  

supradude wrote:
He might be talking about amps like the old Orion HCCA's that were high current (but needed lots of power). The class D's are more "efficient" and aren't as hard on the alternator. That's why they have dwindled away, or that's what I've been told.

That is very true! I love Orion and I know quite a bit about them and their old amplifiers did suck up bunches of energy. I should be sponsored by Orion! Or working for them or something!

You would think that they would keep some of those "high-power" amplifiers around just for the heck of it. These days, people are always looking for that extra edge on their competitors and they don't really seem to care about the cost in doing so. This would be a perfect way to get that edge it seems. Especially since most people go crazy on upgrading their alternator and other power sources anyway.

Do whatever makes you happy in life without diminishing the happiness of others
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2006 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
high current?   like the memphis 4000d    697amp draw at 1 ohm.....................................
thats high current!    but in all reality, they are phasing out, I still love them, that why I have a pile of kicker XS and ZR amplifers ready to go into our next project an SQ car!
There are not many makers out there anymore who make a soild high current a/b amp.....reasons,    they are very picky on voltage....and we all know that everyone wants to run a 1,000,000,000 watt amp and not upgrade thier alternator...so they are phasing out
high current a/b amp starving for power nomally equals smoke genie!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Split 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 2:57 PM / IP Logged  
I was talking of the old Orions HC,Crunch HC (like the 50hc),Audio Art 50 and 100HC,ETC...
Split 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2006 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Jeff!,There are a lot amps in this industry,but i'm still love the old school amps
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic