icon

Deciding proper capacitor with Amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
noakes75 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

alright, i understand that a cap is only effective if your charging system is up to par. so now it appears that i need another upgrade on my alternater like you said. do you know of anywhere that i could find a bigger one? i've looked around (online primarly due to my current situation) and came up with only the 160.

i know this may sound ludacris, but work with me. can you/is it practical to get a second alternater thus running two at once? like i said, im kinda new to having to keep the charging system up to par. in the past either my system didn't require this kind of power, or i just didn't worry about it. but now, i'd like to do it the proper way. also, i'm leaning towards these kinetik cells, and i had another question. once i get the charging system to where it needs to be, how many of these cells would you recommend. I wanted to get a minimum of two just due to the way im running the wires.

I'm planning on hiding them in the side compartment of the extended cab on a 03 s-10. so I'm not to worried about the looks. i was planning on building a platform for them, then encloseing them in. And finally puttin the box clean up to the wall, thus removing the sign of these cells, nothing against them. its just that i dont like to keep them out in the open for everyone to see.not the most attractive thing in my opionion.

oh one more thing. i found these cells for a little over $100.00 a peice shipped to my home. is that a good price, or should i keep looking?

front leaning rest postion MOVE
supersix4 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  

*Butthead/on*   Caps SUCK   *Butthead/off*

*Beavis/on*     hehe yeah ...  they suck   *Beavis/off*

LOL, just kiddin' ... but they aren't the first choice ... a cap should be the last thing to try.

As an earlier response mentioned, a cap is a band aid.

Upgrade the Alternator's charge wire, the Battery neg terminal-to-chassis wire, and ground the alternator to the chassis. Use 0/2 gauge cable, since you are using 0/2 to power the audio system.

If you are still having power delivery problems, get a better Alternator.

supersix4 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

Damn - I nearly forgot the most important thing...

noakes75 - THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! If it wasn't for you guys doing that, we wouldn't be able to do this.

GET SOME!

Come Home Safe!

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
Ok...to clear this up...I did not say that a cap would be better than a Kinetik power cell...I suggested the power cell over the cap
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
The name of the alternators if Iraggi alternators.    He does have an ebay store.     He can supply you with a REAL 300+ amp alternator if you would like one.    I am also having alot of good experience with High OUtput Alts right now as well.   Powermaster is a good company for alts as well, hope this all helps
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
After reading what your current draw has the potentional of being, definetly get a larger alterantor and upgrade your wiring as sugghested. I have installed 3 of the powermaster alts within the last 2 monthsm so far I am impressed with price and qulaity. I have not had any experience with iraggi alts, but I have heard many good things from fellow installers/enthusiasts. sorry for the typosDeciding proper capacitor with Amp - Page 2 -- posted image....
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

I suggest this:  those amplifiers have fuse ratings that are far above the serviceablity of the amps.  With a 160 amp alternator, your car has approx. 125 amps available for the sound system (at desert cruising speed, of course ;).  Now, you look at how you have this system set up...are the amps being loaded at lowest ohm load?  If they're capable of 1 ohm, for instance, and you have them loaded at 2 ohms, the fuse rating should be cut approx. in half.  So instead of the generous 90 amps protection one amp has, it should need only 45 amps of fusing.

Same with the four channel amp...if you have 4 ohm loads attached to it instead of the 2 ohm limit, the fuse rating should be cut in half.

An alternator upgrade can come after the system is installed and set up.  You should see if that is a necessary thing to do when that time comes, and in the meantime get your system up and running.  What's the worst thing that can happen? 

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2006 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
noakes75 wrote:

alright, sorry it took me so long to get back. but as i already said, im in Iraq and the internet sometimes goes down for days here.

alright, you said that i need to take all the fuses from my amps and add them, then put it against the alternater to see how it adds up. i understand that part. but with the amps im useing (MA Audio products), i dont know if they over protecting they're product or what, but it has 3 30s in each one. I'm useing two. And for the four channel it's useing 2 20s. so you can see where this is going in a hurry. 3X30X2= 180.   2X20 =40.  plus the power the engine needs to run. 35+15. add them all up and I'm getting 270. My alternater is rated for 160 amps. unless I'm doing this all wrong i have a differance of 110 amps. So, now my question is again. how would i offset this to make there to be less drain on my electrical system in the car, and keep the amps to their maximum effeciatncy.

also, would caps be more useful then the Kinetik power cell? like aznboi suggested? i've built systems before (not the im a pro or anything. so im not saying that) but ive never had to deal with this before and sorta new to the caps and extra power cells so be easy on me.

Wow that is a LOT of draw >.< Getting betteries on there will be more of a bandaid. A kenetic 1400 for example combined with your 160 alt will give you about 8 seconds of power before deep cycle kicks in and hurts the battery. Dual alternator or 300 amp alternator is the way to go. In this case, caps will hurt your system more than help it. If you can get to 250 amps on the alternator, you can get by with a 2.5 Farad cap.

Good Luck!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 5:19 AM / IP Logged  
alright, first of all, i would like to thank you all for your help. although im not 100% done with this problem yet. you've all been a big help. i sure didnt expect this kind of help. thank you
moving on. alright, i emailed the people you recommended for me to get the alternators from. but now moving on. after i get the 300amp alternator. what am i goin to do for my batteries? i read on a few of the alt. websites that you have to have the required battery power inorder for the alternater to do it's job (makes sense) so, what has to be done about that?
also, as stevdart suggested about the power draw from my amps with the ohms and everything. the two im useing for my subs are rated at 1 ohm. which they will be run at. and the 4 channel is rated at 2. but i will be running it at 4. so if i break it down right. ill be useing 20 less then previously stated. thats still a hell of alot of drawl.
and i could wait on the alternater upgrade, your right. but seeing as i have no where to spend my money currently (once again due to deployment) i want to sink it into my truck. but thanks for the ideas.
oh, and extremj. dont worry about the typos. as you all can see my spelling sucks, but atleast i can still get my point across :)
noakes75 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2006 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  
OH and im planning on doing the big 3 too thanks
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic