the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Need some sub ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Flakman 
Copper - Posts: 365
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
Regarding SPL...that will be determined more by how you build your enclosure. You can get the best sub made, but won't hit crap SQ or SPL wise unless the enclosure is built to suit and tuned correctly.
The Flakman
I feel strange. I have deja vu and amnesia at the same time.
John | Manteca, CA
trustyrusty 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, i realize that. But i also need somewhat of a halfway decent subwoofer. Currently right now i am just running some CV V-Max's...those aren't going to get as loud as an RE MT or something like that. I'm mainly going for SPL with this one, but I want something so that when i take it out of the SPL box and place it into a daily driver. I realize how crucial the build is for an SPL competition. Thats how people hitting like 145 with a single 15" Type R. I'm not that good though. I need a little bit of a crutch to help me get higher numbers, :P
Do you know what numbers you were hitting with the eclipse?
trustyrusty 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 4:22 PM / IP Logged  
I also forgot to mention...has anyone had any luck with the Kicker CVX's?? I've listened to them very briefly only in a test tone sweep, and they were loud to me. But i have no idea how they sound on daily driving for music and watnot
wvsquirrel 
Gold - Posts: 1,237
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 8:06 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with the Eclipse SW9122 4ohm DVC (eventually I'll have several). It's rated 750RMS 1500Peak. The JBL BP1200.1 will give you around 1000RMS, which is a good match for that sub.
BTW, the Eclipse will run 2ohms to the amp so you shouldn't have any problems with it cutting out or clipping.
If you're looking for a more mid-level setup, you might consider the 1200.1 and 2 RF Punch HX2's (4ohm DVC). I installed that setup for a coworker and he was highly impressed.
Squirrel
"No more Cpt. Kirk chit chat"
If its too loud, then you're too old
Donate to the12volt.com
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2006 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  

The titanium Eclipse SW9122 needs a monster and I mean monster slot port box in order to get loud properly. While it is a amazing subwoofer and is always on my short list of subs to recommend to a customer interested in above average tonal response. The ideal application for this sub is in a nice 2 cubic foot sealed box that can keep this puppy under control. The SPL #'s that you are looking for to me dictate a single 12" or even 15" driver that presents it's load at the stable output of your amplifier. That being 2 ohms more than likely. I would really consider a DD3515 or DD3512 for this application. They are a known solid performer in the lanes and are easily capable of hitting the numbers you are after in most but not all applications.

www.ddaudio.com

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
trustyrusty 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
For the eclipse, doesn't eclipse rate them per voice coil?? Or have i just been reading these things wrong. Do you guys have any prices of the DD series off the top of your head?
Sounds like so far the subs i'm down to are...
Kicker 15" CVX
Rockford T2 15"
Fi 18" BTL
DD 3515
Eclipse Ti 12"
Fi 15" Q
RL-P 15"
...thats about all that I got for now
I've heard some amazing things with those DD's though
I'm guessing all of these would be able to hit similiar dB levels. What one would sound the best out of these? In a normal daily driver box of whatever looks acoustically best on WinISD, not a comp box.
cloak559 
Copper - Posts: 215
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I put two 12" Fi Q's in a Tahoe last week and ran about 1200wrms to each of them. Phenomenal SQ and a ground pounder for sure. For a daily with some thump, I vote Fi Q....
'89 Mercedes-Benz 300E
Pioneer DEH-5900UB
(2)RE Audio SX 10"s
(1)US Amps MD3D
3ft^3 @ 37Hz
Blowing up in a car accident doesnt worry me, as long as I'm putting out some major dB's when I die...
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2006 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

Eclipse subs are rated using combined voice coils, as are pretty much all subs in the industry. So, in the case of the SW9122, 750w rms shared between both coils. DD subs I am a CDN authorized dealer for, the US pricing will be cheaper. You neeed to track down a US dealer for pricing. Fi, well, I can't tell you too much about other than they are another bunch of me too's (and former me too's) that went out on their own and have just started making equipment, more than likely by choosing parts out of a catalog which is all too common these days. This does not mean that the product is inferior at all, I would take a wait and see approach to see if the line is still here in another year or not (which is also way too common these days).

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic