icon

Resistor trick

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spalkin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  
I've got an '01 Silverado. Where, what colors and how do I position a resistor to do this? I read the threads on resistor key bypass but have found no specific description on how to do this. My Haynes manual doesn't show these wires. Is there a detailed procedure in here somewhere that I haven't seen? I've never tried this. I've installed alrms with remote start on pre-resistor key cars. I like the idea of using the proper reistor to completely bypass the system full-time. Thanks
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
I don't remember the colorson these, but the position of the resistor doesn't matter.. look in the vehicle wireing page on this sit, that will get you the colors.. the resistor part will get you the color code of the resistor.. basically you cut the "resistor wire" on the truck and put the key in and measurefrom the key to the referance wire I belive.. somewhere on this site is the actual procedure to do this.. youll need a digital meter, and a handfull of resistors....    I can get the procedure tommorow for ya if you cant find it....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
audiopete 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
dei makes a box for that truck learns the resistor value best way to go part 555L
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, for your truck, I am about 90% sure that the colors for the passlock II wires are: Yellow, Black, and ORANGE / Black. These wire are located at the ingintion harness where you got your ignition wires. You are only going to use the Yellow and the ORANGE / Black wires. DONT CUT THE BLACK WIRE. Doing this will trip passlock and will lockup the vehicle, which can sometimes be unlocked manually, other times you will need to TOW the vehicle to the dealer. Start the vehicle with the key. Cut the yellow wire. Shortly after cutting this wire, the security light/emblem will come on. This is how you know you cut the right yellow wire. If the light does not come on, you cut the wrong yellow wire, try again. Strip both sides of the yellow wire away and strip the ORANGE / black wire, but dont cut the ORANGE / black wire. Measure the resistance with a reliabe multimeter from the key side of the yellow wire and the ORANGE / black wire. This will be your resistor value. You can now shut the vehicle off. WARNING. If for some reason you need to start the truck before this bypass is comleted, reconnect the yellow wire first. Get the resistor value within 5% to 10% of the measured value. Put the resistor inline with the ORANGE / black wire and the car side of the yellow wire. The key side of the yellow wire will not be used again, so you can tape that off. Once the resistor is in, start the truck with the key to confirm the bypass was done properly. If the truck stays running with no security light, you've done it correctly. If not......post up! Good luck.
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
spalkin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds to me like the 555L is a good eway to go. It really doesn't matter to me if it's defeated all the time or not. As long as my remote start has the right of way. From the looks of it, you don't have to splice into, or cut any wires to use the 555L. If true, that's cool. Thanks for the detailed replies.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2006 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Get a GMBP
4 wires:
Constant, ground, activation trigger, and to the purple wire in the OBDII plug. Easiest way
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  
yes true, all those modules are the "easiest" way to go. But, if you want to spend money that you dont have to, more power to ya. In my personal opinion, and having dealt with all those modules, I see them as just another failure point down the road. I have been using this method for over 6 years on the GM's and have had zero problems with it. Just gotta know what you're doing! good luck on your starter with whatever method you choose.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Yes but wiring up the way you described with the resistors, PERMANANTLY disables the passlock. That will in turn make your truck more vulnerable to theft. The bypass modules will only temporarily bypass the passlock during remote starting. I think its worth it to just spend the 30-40 bucks on a bypass module and not only make the install much easier, but also keep the factory anti theft system functioning as normal.
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 4:50 PM / IP Logged  
The opinions of whether to use the resistor bypass or not is like beating a dead horse. People will use what they want, I prefer not to spend money I dont have to and not use the module. Some people like to keep their factory passlock feature and spend money on a module. Up here in ND, we have very little car theft, so dont buy a module if I dont need to.    
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
It is possible to use the resistor method and have it the Passlock function properly. Use a relay to introduce the resistor when the RS is activated....
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic