Resistor trick

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
green6767 
Copper - Posts: 209
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  
well then there ya go, no more module....PROVEN! haha
Shaun, we are the same height, that is neat!
12V Installation Technician for Honda, Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota and Jeep.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
Proven , yes it can be done. I've done it with resistors and a relay many times on VATS cars before they started making the modules. I've even done transponder cars with a relay and thin wire wrapping it around the key and ign cylinder. I'm just sayin that personally, I'd rather just use a module. I just pass the the cost of the module along to the customer anyway. Tell them they need this part for the remote start to function properly and they will gladly shell out an extra 30 bucks. But on the other hand, for your own personal car and yer on a budget, then maybe the resistors are the way to go. Say yer installing a 50$ remote start on your 1988 work truck just so you can get it warmed up, maybe 30 bucks will make you or break you. But if you have a customer spending 350-400$ on a remote start for his Denali, he wont have any problem whatsoever shelling out an extra 30 bucks.
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  
very true, good points. to each his own!
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  

If it's an older vehicle and customer doesn't give a rats ass for passlock then I just cut the yellow, read the r-value and hardwire the resistor.

I was going to say "just my two cents" but a resistor is closer to 5 cents. Resistor trick - Page 2 -- posted image.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
AND....nowhere near $30 for a module!!! haha...ok, back on topic!
Big Dog 
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ya man!
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

One factor not discussed here is insurance. Basically the passlock system when left intact makes the vehicle very difficult, if not impossible for a typical thief to start. Most alarm/RS systems use a simple relay for a theft deterrant, very easy even for for my sister to get around.

Now I don't post this to debate about "personal preferance" etc. Just want to tell a little story.

A few years ago I got a call from somone that had their Ford truck was stolen and recovered by the police ,stripped in a ditch with the Ignition switch tore up. The insurance company was not only refusing to pay, but this person was being charged with insurance FRAUD. The reason is because the insurance company had a savvy investigator that knew simply breaking the ignition switch would not allow the vehicle to start (this Ford uses a PATS chip in the key).

What this person wanted from me was to appear in court on his behalf and explain how the thief could have bypassed the factory anti-theft system. Unfortunatly for this person I could not do this, for I myself belive it is highly doubtful that a thief was able to do this, so I could not testify on his behalf.

My conclusion is that either some installer completly bypassed it (hid the "capsule" or key near the antenna), or there is something fishey (fraud) going on.

So without this becoming an argument, which it shouldn't be, I think it is something to consider if you or for anyone else that you bypass for has theft coverage on thier insurance. Again, just a consideration..I think we all know there are easy shorcuts to permenantly bypass a Passlock, VATS or PATs that work fine. However if you integrate with the remote start properly to bypass (or a module if prefered) as long as the factory system remains intact, you remove all liability from yourself if this circumstance with insurance happens.

Big Dog 
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  

Take into consideration as well the fact that most insurance companies require a third party starter kill and/or tracking system because they don't trust the OEM immobilizers.

But, like I said, I do it if #1 the customer asks for it and #2 if it's a beater.

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

That can be true..depends, it varies state to state. I have lived in NY, NJ, TN, and now florida. The only question ask to me by insurance was does it have anti theft. Now this is the broker,,the companies themselves are quite aware of what the vehicle should have from the factory..and if not they find out fast when there is a claim. In NY was the exception. In that state they ask specifically if the antitheft system is "passive". If it is not then it doesn't matter how "fancy" or expensive of a system you install..they don't consider it and you don't even get the discount.

Now all the factory systems are passive, although any aftermarket system can be set up as pasive as well. But regardless of thier "faith" in the OEM system. try to explain your way out in event of a theft where the ignnition switch was busted or the vehicle was hot wired. good luck with that.

green6767 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2006 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
this is why i love living in ND. hahahaha, this is getting retarded now. you are leading too much into this. ITS A PERSONAL PREFERENCE!!!!!! the theft system will still be active if it has a factory alarm if you're all worried about insurance. I'm sure the number one thought on a customers mind is "how bad will my insurance go up if they do the resistor trick or the module bypass"...haha. I just had to laugh when master5 got all into this. this thread is way off topic now, the guy wanted to know how to do it, not why his insurance would go up if he did! this thread should maybe be closed with an ending note of.....everyone's got their opinion!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic