the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Can these x-overs be used on other spkrs?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bill/t/d/y 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2006 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

Actually the filters as i remember them were sold at rad shack not wally world(sorry brain fart)and they had caps(high filetrs)and coils/caps and i think resistors (low pass)and were marketted in kinda smokey/clear cases about 4inchs square on down .But this was about a decade ago and rad shack doesn't even carry the finals or drivers or decent microphones for citizens band anymore.Heck they barely carry anything for us 2 wire do it yerselfe then call the fire departmenters anymore.

And yea i know that they wouldn't be optimal but what the heck i'm not doing compitition anyways just tryin ta make noise and irritate the neighbors.LOL

master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2006 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

sounds like it was a generic 2way crossover from the shack...probably not too different then the JL's you have now but those use caps/coils with values designed specifically four those 4'' JL's. if it incorporated any resistors those were most likely for the high pass.

yeah try em out...if you have a tin ear like me (well I play in a rock band as well so my hearing is shot..lol) they will probably serve thier purpose.

bill/t/d/y 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

Actually got a reply from JL ain dat a kick in da head??LOL.

"the crossover you have is rated at 40watts, it’s a bandpass with the HP @ 7.5KHz (12dB/octave and, the LP @ 2.5KHz, (6dB/octave)"

I get this the crossover you have is rated at 40watts, it’s a bandpass with .       Tiis part refers to the tweet as in High Pass the HP @ 7.5KHz (12dB/octave and this part refers to Lo Pass , the LP @ 2.5KHz, (6dB/octave)

But the 7.5 and 2.5 unless i can see it on a chart comparein to what i already know (which is i admit minimal.is greek to me.Are those decent ratings?Doubt i'd wanna thro em on even a decent amp with 1/2 butt subs.But maybe on some 6"s and 4"s and horn tweets for some potentialy decent midrange maybe??

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
A bandpass crossover is used for the midrange speaker in a 3-way system, but the specs you list do not make any sense.
Support the12volt.com
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  

yeah, this x-over is not a bandpass..and 2.5khz for a low pass would sound like one ugly giant tweeter. Those specs really don't make sense at all as stated above..perhaps you spoke to the person at JL that dumps the garbage at night?  lol

Take care.

bill/t/d/y 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
Heck I dunno just know what they sent and so I cut&pasted it.So bump em I've gots a buncha ole speakers in the shed Ranging from horns and dome tweets thru some subs.I'll just duskt off the old work bench and play for an after noon.I'll even make sure to not turn the ole powersupply past 14.3 volst and 45 amps when i hookup an ole tape deck.And when i do the testing i'll use single cone type speakers no coaxial or 3-ways.All 4 ohm as well and if i burn it up oh well.Thnx anyways gang.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic