icon

Valet 562T Remote Start Issue

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sizzource 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
I just recently got my remote start (Valet 562T) installed a Circuit City. Not the best place to get it installed, just a heads up. Took them 8 total hours over the period of 2 days.
Anyways, my question is I am going to in for service and I was told that if you disconnect the battery then reconnect it, the car will start up. I am not sure how this works, and if someone could explain to me how to make sure that doens't happen or how to prevent that from happening, I would be much appreciative.
Would I need to install a standard switch to the 12v constant to shut the entire system off?
What other cool features does this system have, I am new to remote starts and would like to get my $200 outta it.
Thanks!
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

How to prevent it? Turn the toggle switch off before you take your car in for servicing. In fact, if you feel that you absolutely cannot function without ten fingers, do this everytime before popping the hood open whether they installed a hood switch or not.

What else does it do? Read the owner's manual.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
sizzource 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 12:54 PM / IP Logged  
I don't have a toggle switch. I was asking if I should install a toggle switch to accomplish this. The installers didn't install one.
And what do you mean by functioning with ten fingers. Is there a saftey risk going on or something?
Big Dog 
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

There was supposed to be one in the box! Demand that they install it and don't buy the story that you don't need one because there is an underhood switch.

Safety risk? I don't mean to razzle you but even with a hood pin switch (which can rust) there is a potential to remote start with the hood open such as accidentially leaning against the remote in your pocket.

Usually we're more careful if the engine is already running before we open the hood but if it isn't running then we tend to stick our fingers in dangerous places and are suprised if we or someone else remote starts the car.

Turning off the toggle switch assures against accidental starting. 

sizzource 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
So your saying there should be a switch in my hood somewhere to disengage the remote start system? I will go and try to look for it. But if I can't find it, where would I install one myself? Which wire would I have to cut and put the switch into it?
My Truck Electronics:
- Pioneer DEH-P4800MP HeadUnit w/ Sirius Radio
- Valet 562T Remote Start System
Big Dog 
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hood switch input wire is a small gray next to a small brown wire at the 562T. When the gray sees a ground then the remote starter doesn't work as when the hood would be open. The switch is a black plastic plunger type switch.

More importantly, you should have a toggle switch inside the car connected to the same gray wire so that when the switch is "on" the the 562 doesn't work.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, DEI-brand units will automatically remote start when the battery is disconnected and then reconnected.
It's an absolutely retarded design, it's unsafe, and I've never seen another brand in the industry that has this same design flaw. For a company that appears so worried about legal liability, I'm surprised they haven't fixed this.
There are two safety features that may or may not have been installed:
1. Hood pinswitch: When the hood is raised, the remote start cannot operate. (If you raise the hood with the remote start on, the engine shuts off.)
The installer might use the metal pinswitch that is included with the remote starter, he might sell you an easier-to-install tilt switch that is attached to the underside of the hood........or, if your car is one of the few that already has a factory hoodswitch for your car's factory alarm system, the installer might just tap into that wire.
2. Valet switch: A small toggle switch that might be mounted under the dashboard, on the driver's kick panel, or sometimes inside the car's fuse box.
When the switch is in the "off" position, the remote start cannot operate. (If you flip the switch "off" with the remote start on, the engine shuts off.)
NOTE: You might find a black pushbutton switch somewhere under the dash, but that's only for programming new remote controls, or changing the feature settings of the remote starter...........the other switch is a separate unit, and it flips up and down; not a pushbutton.
REALITY CHECK: The POS hoodpin included in the box will last for about six months, or a year, if you're lucky. Also, pinswitches are tricky and time-consuming to install.
Customers also seem to accidentally turn off the valet switch, but they can't be bothered with reading the instructions, so they bring the car back saying the remote start is "broken."
For these reasons, the reality is that the hoodpin and valet switches usually end up in the garbage pail.
But, they are considered part of a normal installation. Also, I'm sure it is HIGHLY against any big-corporate-store's company policy to let cars go without hoodpins, even though it does happen. It's a liability risk, and upper-management CERTAINLY doesn't want this.
If these features are important to you, go back and have them properly connected. I couldn't imagine them charging you for this.
If I had to choose between one and the other, I'd go for the valet switch, as the hoodpin isn't reliable enough anyway.
In the meantime, if you do decide to disconnect your battery.......... have a friend step on the car's brake when you reconnect it. When the brake is on, the remote starter can't operate.
Silvrefox 
Copper - Posts: 126
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, definitely recommend you go back and have them re-install that switch, it is all included in the remote start you purchased. If they give you a hard time, just ask for the manager of the roadshop and if he don't help you, believe me the GM will...
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
In New York, all business' must install the kill switch for insurance purposes. I suspect that is the case in most states.
Bottom line is -
YOU PAID FOR CC TO DO THE JOB RIGHT,
WHY THE HELL SHOULD YOU FIX THEIR SHOTTY INSTALLS
THATS CRAZY
GO IN THERE AND DEMAND THEM TO INSTALL KILL SWITCH!!!
If you do it yourself and take it back to them for an unrealated issue that you have, they might not warranty it b/c you messed with it after they did!
BRING YOUR CAR BACK TO THOSE SCUMBAGS!
Cruisin Security And Sounds
ainami 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

I had my viper 5900 installed by Six Ave. They never installed the hoodpin switch nor the toggle kill switch.

I afterwards installed the hoodpin switch my self. I wanted to install the toggle switch but don't know what wire to connect it to. Can someone tell me what wire I should use for the toggle switch.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic