Testing Ground Points

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fireballuk2001 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2003 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

Hi

Im new to car audio, and have run into problems with my setup. My problem is that my newley installed sub and amp were very weak with the bass (not so loud bass and some distortion) compaired to when it was installed in the previous owners car. I moved the ground point and the bass increased to a very good level with no distortion. It then decreased after a while to its initial level and have been unable to figure out why. Is this the sign of yet another bad Ground?

The main question though is how do i test the ground? I have a digital multimeter and know basic electronics...

Thanks in advance!

themagicone 
Silver - Posts: 325
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2003 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

Your ground is very important to the sound system in your car. First, make sure that you have at least the same size wire for ground and as power, if not bigger. Second, make it short as posable. Third, make sure its a very clean metal spot you ground it to. You can test a ground by attaching one side of the metter to the ground and then the other side to the ground on the battery, you should get 1 to 5 ohms max resitance. You may also have what is called a ground loop which can cause problems and add noise to the system. To prevent ground loops make sure that the deck is ground to a good ground and all your amps are grounded together. Also make sure the rca's are not grounded. Try that and get back to me, if it dosent work i have a few  other ideas for ya.

fireballuk2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2003 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, i thought this was how you tested the ground, but wanted to make sure before i do. I will try your suggestions tomorrow, its 2:30am here. As regarding to the wiring, im using a Amp wiring kit, consisting of 5m 4awg power cable, 0.5m 4awg earth cable, 5m remote wire, 5m (shielded i think) rca cable and 3m speaker cable.

Thanks for the advice and i will get back to you tomorrow with my findings.

Edit: i also would like you to know that the power cable is run down the left side of the car and the rcas are run down the opposite side, as advised by a friend.

fireballuk2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Right, i regrounded my amp and the sound came alive! i tested this new ground and found that the multimeter wouldnt register.... so i assume there was no resistance (or very little). However i am getting added noise now when the car is running, in both of my amplifiers. I've tried earthing the headunit to the same ground as the sub amp but it didnt make a difference. I will try moving the ground on my 6x9 amp to the same as the sub amp tomorrow, but i got a feeling the noise is a ground loop from the RCA's? how do i check the RCA's?

What do you advise me to do to solve this?

fireballuk2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 6:39 PM / IP Logged  

Getting this back up top, i really need help, its driving me nutty!

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of amps? are both amps grounded to the same point is your charging system bad (weak batt or alt)?
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
fireballuk2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2003 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 600watt Amp running the Sub, and a 300watt Amp running the 6x9s. Both amps are grounded to the same point now, but still i get the noise. I've even tried earthing everyting direct to the battery but i still got the noise. I have now noticed however that i am getting the noise direct from the head units hi output wires too, but seemingly only from the back channels (which i connected my 6x9's to temporarly to get rid of the noise so that i can listen to it when im moving!) but it is nowere near as loud as when its amped. I've tried a ground loop isolator inline with the RCA leads, no cure... i even got a noise supressor for the head unit (connects to the +ive wire) and still no change in the noise level.

I do have the feeling that its the alternator, i got a brand new battery about 3 weeks ago cos of the occasional dead battery but i assumed it was due to me using the sub without the engine running. Do you rekon i need to get the alternator replaced/fixed?

Thanks in advance!

swerks 
Copper - Posts: 224
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2003 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  
try this to see if it is your alt..  hook up a set of booster cables to anoother car (try to use ones wit the biggest wire possible) start the boost vehicle and leave yours off this way the boost vehicle is noow running your charging system if the noise stops replace your alt it is either weak or defective
Steve Sverdahl
Swerksound Auto Electric
Red Deer Alberta
fireballuk2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

I've noticed now that everything electrical is interfearing now.... the heator fan, indecators, and when lights and stuff are switched on i can hear like a click or a pop... so its not only alternator noise...

Any sugesstions?

NyxBass 
Silver - Posts: 226
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  
It's probably some sort of ground fault in the HU or whichever amp s causing the noise. I would check spark plug wires (are they way old or cracked?), and the rest of the charging system for a bad ground or poor (failing) wiring. If that doesn't solve it, I'd be interested in sending the HU in for warranty (if you have it).
/NyxBass
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic