Relay using up too much power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Tjc13 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2002 at 9:13 AM / IP Logged  
Quote: Originally posted by the12volt on May 24, 2002

First of all my diagram does not show a diode across the coil at 85 and 86 and the relay is not inline (or in series) with the dome lamp. The connections (blue leads) between the relay, with the diodes inline,  tap into the two (-) triggers at the dome lamp respectively. If you want it to work with the dome lamp, have another look at my diagram and try again.

the12volt

Right. Didn't say you have a diode across the coil in your illustration. I said the tip even before that (two replies up from the illustrated one) mentions use of diode. BTW, the coil of the relay IS inline with the dome light not the common and normally open/closed part of the relay. The circuits for the door trigger and manual open for the dome light are separate. I only tested the manual open to no avail. Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Oh, I just to give you more info on how I got the negative trigger and that may also clue you in on a mistake I might have done. I took the hot wire and cut it. The hot end was not used (grounded with test light to make sure). Then I took the other end and did a continuity test with the manual on wire to make sure I got the negative trigger wire. This is the wire I used as illustrated in your diagram to complete the negative trigger and this was connected to 85 as illustrated. Any clues yet on the problem?

For now, I'm going to the garage and wiring a relay that's triggered by ignition so it'll turn off the new power source for the neons. Talk to you in a bit Relay using up too much power? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2002 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Tjc13, no, you didn't say I have a diode across the coil in my illustration, but that you placed a diode across 85 and 86 (85 and 86 = coil of relay). Then you said ..."as long as the relay coil is inline with the dome lamp....the dome lamp will not light up".  I know you didn't say I have it in my diagram,  but the coil of the relay is not shown to be in series with the dome lamp in my diagram nor do you want it to be in series (inline) with it.

In your last reply you said you cut the hot wire. Was this the lead going to the dome lamp? or where?? If it was the lead to the dome lamp, you do not want to cut it or any other wire going to the dome lamp, unless of course you do not want your dome lamp to work. Leave your dome lamp wired as it was originally with no leads cut, then where I show the blue leads in my diagram connecting to the dome lamp triggers, simply tap these wires into each respectively without cutting them. These need to be parallel connections, not series connections. (Inline = Series)

the12volt

Tjc13 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2002 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, doh! I think I see the light (pun), hahaha. So tap in to all wires and I should be ok. Tap 86 into the positive wire from the dome light and tap 85 into the negative wires with a diode for safety.

Will let you know soon! Thanks again! Relay using up too much power? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2002 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  

Tjc13, do not connect 86 to the positive lead of your dome light, connect 86 to the positive side of your battery and place a fuse inline. The dome lamp circuit may not handle the additional current draw of your neon lights.

the12volt

Tjc13 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2002 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I initially also thought about the additional load of the neons; hence, 86 goes to a new fused 12v from the battery. Everything seems to be good now execpt I somehow have a closed circuit so the neons are constantly on. I've have to investigate this further because I have another relay there too. As for the dome light and neons, they are both working now. Yeah! Relay using up too much power? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.

Thanks for all you help the12volt. I will remember this lesson of parallel versus in series.

techrat 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: June 19, 2002 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  

Just an afterthought on all this...

Wouldn't everything been alot simpler if the relay coil was put in parallel with the filiment of the domelight, no feedback, no diodes, no headaches. ????

i think i'm right. (or am I?)

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic