the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

haemphyst's new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2007 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
First in car impressions...
"One Note Wonder" Something bigbangs would probably LOVE!
It sounds like @$$... Tuning will hopefully fix it all, involving crossover settings, adjusting of the stuffing, EQ curves, etc. I am referring ONLY to the sub... I haven't even connected the doors yet - it got dark before I could get to them. I don't think I am even worried about the doors, I KNOW what they can sound like. haemphyst's new system - Page 9 -- posted image.
I will mention, however, that I am definitely hearing my desired "subterranean" response. And then some! Yeah, it goes DEEP!!! Actually, thinking about it now, and without even putting the mic in the car to see WHERE the problem children are, and knowing I haven't even played with any UCS settings, yet, I think I will leave the stuffing where it is for right now, and play with the electronic end, rather than the physical end.
I have to work tomorrow, but I'll be spending the remainder of the afternoon in my trunk tomorrow and Sunday, trying to get the desired flat response. More details to follow!
The PDX1.1000 is a BEAST! TONS of power on tap, but I think it's efficiency isn't as high as the 4.150's, as it was hotter than Hades when I put my hand on it!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2007 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

You must be kidding yourself, no matter how much you tweak them eq's, that on note wonder box, is gonna remain a one note wonder box.

GO SEALED, or go home!!

Just giving you a hard time....Good luck!haemphyst's new system - Page 9 -- posted image.

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2007 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:

You must be kidding yourself, no matter how much you tweak them eq's, that on note wonder box, is gonna remain a one note wonder box.

GO SEALED, or go home!!

Just giving you a hard time....Good luck!

Ow, baby... very ow. LOL
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2007 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Get this thing done already. I may have some time in August to meet up, for an all you can eat deal, and have another demo.

If you are really interested in that alt, I would be happy to cut you a killer deal.

haemphyst 
Posted: July 08, 2007 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  
OK, kiddies! Daddy LIKE! haemphyst's new system - Page 9 -- posted image.
Grinning from ear to ear, I was listening to Supertramp's last album "Some Things Never Change". (Highly recommended.) Track 2 has a kick drum in it that is NOTHING but subsonics, and this system nails it. The car doesn't vibe with this particualr track, it SHUDDERS. The seats massage you... Yeah, baby! Peter Gabriel's "Secret World Live", track 5, disc 1, has amazingly deep and fast bass, again, right on the head! Erasure's "The Innocents" also provides for an amusing listening experience! Classical listening tests are soon to happen!
Efficiency is CERTAINLY lower than either a sealed or ESPECIALLY a vented box, it really WANTS (and likes) tons of power, but I have it in spades with the 1.1000 amp running it!
I am MOST impressed with a couple of facts about this thing:
1: It's not there unless you need it to be, i.e. it never interferes with the music, no smearing of the image.
2: DEEEEEP. I haven't been able to throw anything at it that it can't handle, yet. Mad deebeez? Not at all, but musical, fast, deep, tight... (GFAA is MIA, so I'll have to locate that, as that has about the deepest stuff I own on it. Oh, wait! 1812 Overture! I'll let y'all know!) I haven't been able to bottom it out yet, either!
I was right with leaving the physical portion of it alone, seems the stuffing was correct, right from the get-go. SOME very minor EQ tweaking and additional TD on the front stage will still be necessary, I think, but so far... Not a thing in the world wrong with it! I'll be dumping my mic in there with my laptop, and I'll post a few TrueRTA graphs, when I get them! Also, semi-final photos are coming!
Dan, as far as the alternator, what model car exactly was it supposed to fit? The '94 Accord had a few options. haemphyst's new system - Page 9 -- posted image. The AYCE sounds like a good idea... I haven't had sushi in about 6 months! DYohn, you in?
haemphyst 
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
No comments from ANYBODY? Dan? Dave? Bob? (I know... Bob's on vaca...) But still! I'd like your input, guys!
Anyway, pics are in the works, (double-o, g-l-i-e install, so you won't get to see the trunk, just yet) as are RTA graphs, SPL measurements, final TD settings, what have you...
Finally! It's playing!
bigbangs 
Copper - Posts: 12
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst wrote:
First in car impressions...
"One Note Wonder" Something bigbangs would probably LOVE!
I heard that. Iown you when it comes to stereo systems..lol haemphyst's new system - Page 9 -- posted image.
But when are you going to get back to me regarding the email?
Pioneer Deck
5.25 Kicker Front Speakers
6.5 Kicker Rear Speakers
2 12" Directed SX Subwoofers
Hifonics Brutus BXi 1206D AMP
1 Capacitor
2 gauge wiring..Big 3 upgraded
Steady 13.8 volts
haemphyst 
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  
Both copies of the spreadsheet won't open. I already tried both of them on three different machines (literally). Try sending it to me again!
bigbangs 
Copper - Posts: 12
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
sent again..also read their website. i'm going to sue them for false advertisement. They are claiming the subwoofers has close to 2 inches of cone travel. Now .50inches doesnt even come close to 2 inches.
Pioneer Deck
5.25 Kicker Front Speakers
6.5 Kicker Rear Speakers
2 12" Directed SX Subwoofers
Hifonics Brutus BXi 1206D AMP
1 Capacitor
2 gauge wiring..Big 3 upgraded
Steady 13.8 volts
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  

I'm in, just tell me when and where.

Sounds like you got a nice low Q out of the TL.  If it's hitting the subsonics without being overpowering up around 100Hz (no matter what your Xover might be) you have to be around 0.5 or in the infinite baffle/critically dampened range.  That's fantastic.  Does it lose its impact on the highway or does it have enough punch to cut through the road hum?

Can't wait to see/hear it.

Support the12volt.com
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic