the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

haemphyst's new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I actually didn't know what to say other than congrats on it working right the first try! You guys need to move half way across the country so I can see these hi-tech installs and hear them myself!! Anyways, I'm looking forward to pics on this since I have never seen a enclosure like what you have done.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2007 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
It's freakin' TIGHT! It plays very low, without overhang, stops when it's supposed to, goes when it's supposed to, blends fantastically with the Adires in the doors... Reasonably loud enough... I was able to get to 114dB, pink noise, below 65Hz. That's one 10" woofer, people! Plenty for me, though!
I noticed a few holes in the response while I was tuning, phase and slope, with a little bit of EQ was able to fix it to almost perfect. I was able to raise the crossover point to 65Hz, relieving the Adires of the 65Hz to 48Hz band they were doing before without the sub in place. Those cleaned up quite a bit just from that (not that they were dirty at ALL, mind you). Crossover points are now 65Hz, 300Hz, 4K, all 48dB slopes, and MINOR eq'ing, in three points. I think the worst point I had to overcome was a fairly severe dip at 750Hz, and it went away with a .03Q +2dB boost. I still can't figure where a notch like that was coming from...
I ended up with an Fs right around 24Hz, just like I was hoping for. Nice gentle rise from about 30Hz, down to 24 to 22Hz, and then the subsonic filter kicks in, set for 15Hz @ 12dB. Actually, I haven't driven it on the highway yet, I'll probably take it for a ride tomorrow after work... Now that it's all done, I can do that, and not have to worry about bringing it right home to work on it. I'll probably take it over to BestBuy and rub their noses in it! ROFL!
Baffle/Septum Installed and glued in place
haemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image.
Same thing, different angle
From the other end...
I REALLY didn't want the back to come loose or rattle!
I mentioned having to modify the cleats to get the woofer in...? Here's the mod!
A little trick I came up with... Slot the board, fill slot with gorilla glue, clamp or weight heavily!
First coat of fleckstone.
Another angle...
The next morning, ready to go into the car!
Man... the thing's I'll do for perfection!
Wired for sound, as it were.
My dogs... Nothing whatsoever to do with the build!
Shadow
Cooper (we think he's "not exactly heterosexual"...)
All happy, in it's home.
From the driver's side...
Battery charger cable. 4 gauge! They don't call me haemphyst for nothing!
Mil-Spec 100A Battery Charger. I bought three of them, new in the box for $50.00 each! Sold 2 for $350.00 each... Would have bought more, but they wouldn't fit in my 86 Civic! haemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image. Welded caster frame under it to move the thing around! (That's my coffee roaster on top!)
DYohn, I'll PM you with place and time... Actually, place will be the same place, time will be determined! I'll have to boil down a time with Dan!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 12:22 AM / IP Logged  

Actually David, the reason I haven't commented much is because I am a little jealoushaemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image..  (been busy at work too)

Thus far you've done a fantastic job in my estimation, the fabrication of the box is excellent. I am still skeptical as to how that box actually sounds, but in reality I would like to hear it in person. I guess I am just set in sealed box ways.

As far a meet goes, lemme know...keep up the good work!

By the way, was that an RTA or was that mic for your eq's?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 9:10 AM / IP Logged  

Looks great.  Your notch at 750Hz could be driver interaction between the mid-woof and mid-range (even with 48db slopes) but is p0robably a null caused by the geometry of the car's interior or a dip in your mid driver's response.  That's an unfortunate place for a null as it's right in the middle of the musical spectrum: try changing the 300Hz Xover point up to 600Hz and see what happens.

I am willing to bet your dogs indeed did have something to do with your build and installation.  I bet they supervised the whole thing.  haemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image.

I'm in San Francisco all next week at Semicon, by the way.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:
Actually David, the reason I haven't commented much is because I am a little jealoushaemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image.. (been busy at work too)
Aw, shucks... You don't have to be jealous! You've got a pretty darn good system in your car already! I know about the "busy at work" thing, too! I've been fighting an ongoing battle with my software vendor, trying to get them to FIX this damn EMR, and it's been costing me 4 dollars a MINUTE! I'm in the wrong business, I think, sometimes...
dwarren wrote:
Thus far you've done a fantastic job in my estimation, the fabrication of the box is excellent. I am still skeptical as to how that box actually sounds, but in reality I would like to hear it in person. I guess I am just set in sealed box ways.
Thanks! I used to be a "sealed guy" as well, but after I built my first TL, then the stuffed TL came into the picture, I was hooked! Seriously. Excellent control, as with a sealed enclosure, with the extension and (relative) efficiency down LOW as a vented enclosure. I think you'll like it, too! If nothing else, I think you'll be impressed with it's capabilities, even if it doesn't exactly fit your tastes!
dwarren wrote:
As far a meet goes, lemme know...keep up the good work!
I'll PM ya, and get some times figured out... I'm pretty much available for just about any weekend in August, and the only day I'm NOT available in July is the weekend of the 20th.
dwarren wrote:
By the way, was that an RTA or was that mic for your eq's?
The mic was plugged into my MAudio USBPre, for the RTA function in TrueRTA. The computer got it's pink noise signal to the system through a Philips Aurilium External sound card. I like doing it that way, with two separate boxes, so there isn't as much overhead. One card doing all of the I/O functions, especially with higher resolutions, faster response speeds, and more samples - it gets a bit glitchy, sometimes. The CPU is perfectly capable of doing all the number crunching, I showed about 38% CPU utilization, at fast response, 1/24octave, WITH the pink noise running, and the UCSPros connected (for the real-time tuning).
DYohn wrote:
Looks great. Your notch at 750Hz could be driver interaction between the mid-woof and mid-range (even with 48db slopes) but is p0robably a null caused by the geometry of the car's interior or a dip in your mid driver's response. That's an unfortunate place for a null as it's right in the middle of the musical spectrum: try changing the 300Hz Xover point up to 600Hz and see what happens.
I wanted to keep the crossover lower than that, to avoid beaming from the Adire. A 7" woofer will start to pull in at around 160Hz, so I figured I was still at about 45 degrees or better at 300Hz. ON AXIS, those adires are fantastic drivers, and will indeed go all the way out to 3.5K, but physics still dictate the beaming functions... Can't avoid them! I was thinking it's a cabin interaction somewhere, especially since I was able to kill it so easily, and since I have it all taken care of now, I'm not terribly worried about it anymore.
DYohn wrote:
I am willing to bet your dogs indeed did have something to do with your build and installation. I bet they supervised the whole thing. haemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image.
Well, they pooped a lot! And they kept people out of the back yard when I left the gate open...
DYohn wrote:
I'm in San Francisco all next week at Semicon, by the way.
What are you doing at Semicon?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
that is flippin' sweet...
I wouldn't mind having a battery charger like that too...
how you likin' them Subs?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
sarcomax 
Copper - Posts: 276
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  

Stupid work computer and it's extremely limited web browsing. I can never see anyones pictures here. I can't wait to get home and check them out...wait, I can look on my phone. I have no internal monolauge today...

Are you going to laguna seca the weekend of the 20th? I will be there on sunday, cheering on the suzuki guys. 

haemphyst 
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, hamzter! Those subs are AWESOME, I highly recommend them! I have to wonder how a pair of 12's would do in a similar enclosure! Maybe 15's anybody? LOL Dave sees a new home sub in the relatively near future! haemphyst's new system - Page 10 -- posted image.
DAMN! I forgot about Laguna-Seca! I have work on Friday and Saturday, and Friday night I'm going to a Dodgers game, too! (Yes, I'll be riding the Bandit!) Then Sunday, I'm ... oh, forget it, that weekend is shot to hell! I'll be driving about 1000 miles that weekend!
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
Those subs are TCs right? the TC1000? I want to do 1 x 12 dual 4. I like doing the sealed in a fiber enclosure.
you think these will rock?
where did you get them from?
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
haemphyst 
Posted: July 10, 2007 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Get em right from TCSounds.com Yes, that's the TC1000 10 inch. With the right power applied, and in a correct enclosure, they'll rattle your teeth!
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic