icon

my system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
still_walkin 
Silver - Posts: 644
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 9:29 AM / IP Logged  
That's true I guess well I know what people think of my system and I haved like and dislikes but the way I c it if the overall sound is balanced and there isn't too much highs or lows etc thing a job well done right?
1993 sdv
Alpine 4x6 6x9 5 1/4 swr-10d4
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
Nettop pc w/10" touch screen
78nova
5-re audio 5x7 ,10" sub &
Xtx-500.5
"Take the faceplate off get the jumperpack"
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 9:31 AM / IP Logged  
If you're happy with your system, that's all that matters.
my system - Page 2 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
still_walkin wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies so far but haemphyst what are you working with?
You're KIDDING, right? Do you REALLY want to go there? I have more invested in my signal processors than you probably have in your entire system. :P
Here's what I'm working with.
I do apologize. My response was a bit hard. I was up all night with a migraine, and I was not really thinking straight. I sometimes forget that what sounds great to one person might not necessarily sound great to the next. From a true SQ standpoint, and from a technical standpoint, the fewer drivers you have, the better it will sound, without question. The comb-filtering from that many drivers, reproducing the same frequency band CAN'T be good. That many tweeters CANNOT integrate well, and while a meter WILL be able to show you that, if you are happy with it, then I am happy FOR you.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not worried about your comments didn't bother me and if in the future I decide to add more mids or subtract tweeter who knows I like wiring stuff up and I get carried away on your system I had the zn stret wires before the cool but I like my stinger interconnects they seem more strudy.also what kind of power/ground wire did you use o ill give you your porps on your radio I seen it when it came out and I was gonna through out my jvc till I seen that it doesn't play dvds:( and those new alpine amps that are stackable how do they perform I was gonna go with those but I like the large look later
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  

audioman2007 wrote:
But is is very true that you can take a very great sub and make it sound like crap. And you can take a crappy sub and make it sound great. It all depends on how the enclosure is built and what you have powering it.

You can definitely take a great sub and make it sound like crap.  I remember letting a friend of mine borrow my Adire Brahma 10 in an elcosure I built, and he had his brother-in-law install it on his Eclipse 4 channel amp.  I must say that thing sounded horrible.  So I looked over the install and turned down the bass boost on the amp and set the gain correctly and it finally sounded like the Brahma should. 

However I don't think you can make any sub sound "great".  Some subs will have a peaky, boomy sound no matter what enclosure you put them in.  And you will never be able to get an Audiobahn sub to sound as good as a W7 in a proper enclosure.  You can only go so far with install.

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
That's true the specs on the w7 compared to my subs are very different and the w7 is a monster compared to mine it s 400 plus in some places I've seen it cheaper on ebay but I have 4 subs and I replaced them with 4 w7 that's way more than overkill not to mention the power they would demand. What is everyones thought on 4 w7s in 1 car. Keep in mind powering them to a moderate level and cubic space as well
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Just plain old #4, high strand power cable... I don't even remember the name, (Phoenix, I think) but it's nothing special. Grounded two places, one on each side of the car. I built my power distribution blocks, so I have PLENTY of space for all the power wires I need. (I often build my own stuff... Mass market so RARELY meets my needs, let alone my wants... my system - Page 2 -- posted image. ) As far as the Alpine amps, they are built on the same ICEPower modules (from Bang&Olufsen) as the Eclipse amplifiers are now, so I'm expecting that they will sound the same, which means they will sound like nothing at all, the way an amplifier SHOULD sound. In fact, the toss-up was between the Alpine and the Eclipse, I knew I wanted digital, and the Eclipse sound fantastic. I chose the Alpine for the size.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  

What exactly are you after?  The W7 is primarily an SQ sub that is able to get pretty loud.  However a purpose-built SPL sub would dominate the W7 on output.  And running 4 W7's will be a very expensive venture.  But a single 13W7 in a good ported enclosure should get more than loud enough for most daily drivers.

I was just using the W7 as an example because I see it as the reference, cost no object, free of the usual compromises sub.  You can get close to it's performance for much less.

still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
No I don't have 4 w7s you were comparing my subs to a w7 . So I was saying if I changed out my subs to 4 w7s that would crazy and the power drain would kill my alternator twice lol
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
still_walkin 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2007 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Did u research whta I had in my system or looked the model numbers before you gave me your opinion I suggest you look again beacuse no where in my first post says I have 4 w7s ... be easy man
1993 sdv
alpine v60
12.5 VGA flip down
78nova
Xtx-500.5
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic