icon

keyless and door switch complete pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
Quite a few moons ago, I mentioned that I wanted to install a door lock switch - the reason being that the Valet 712T keyless entry system locks all the doors as soon as you turn the ignition, with the result that if somebody wanted to climb in afterwards, I had to virtually dislocate my shoulder trying to open up the other doors keyless and door switch complete pics - Last Post -- posted image. !
Well, I bought a normally horizontal sunroof switch for about $57. I had my first problem, however...the switch uses a fiber optic cable for its illumination, and as far as I could tell, I didn't have any "ports" open for an additional optic cable. So, off to the junk yard I went to buy a rear-door window switch and did some minor transplant surgery between the two switches.
With that sorted, I had to try and figure out how I had to connect the switch with the keyless module. I think I had it sorted for the most part, until I had to connect the window-aka-sunroof-aka-door-lock-switch to the module. I though I knew which connectors on the window switch to use, but I was too lazy to walk the few feet back to my room to double check the wiring diagram. Well, I ended up frying the locking circuit of the keyless module and a few of the door lock motors...another $70 literally up in smoke (and there was quite a bit of smoke, let me tell you!) keyless and door switch complete pics - Last Post -- posted image. .
So, I ordered another module from the US, this time triple-checking everything. I also connected the horn-honk output. I have a proper set of horns, and let me tell you, when you press the panic button on the remote, it makes a good few decibels keyless and door switch complete pics - Last Post -- posted image. ! In total, I used six relays in addition to the module.
Well, the switch works great (it's the second one to the left, if you're wondering)...I just wonder whether it was worth all the effort!
keyless and door switch complete pics - Last Post -- posted image.
P.S. Those crimp connections are SOLID! If you can't pull apart a crimp from its wire with a set of pliers, I believe the connection to be quite solid. I must say that the crimping tool on the left doesn't compare to the one that I use on the right - I think it's the best crimping tool for insulated crimps.
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 11, 2007 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

Looks good, adding a door lock/unlock switch is a nice compliment to the keyless system.

I would recomend wrapping all those crimp connects on the bottom of the relays with some tape, just to be ont the safe side!

Kevin Pierson
frans-c 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2007 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:

I would recomend wrapping all those crimp connects on the bottom of the relays with some tape, just to be ont the safe side!

KP, I actually wanted to use insulated crimps, but for some strange reason none of the outlets I tried, had red insulated female crimps in stock. But yes, I agree, perhaps I should tape those ends.
F R A N S
1985 Mercedes-Benz 230E
320 000 km / 199 000 miles
Full MB Service History
fkelsey 
Copper - Posts: 94
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2007 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  
Outstanding it's nice to see someone always thinking. As for your smoke majickeyless and door switch complete pics - Last Post -- posted image. like I always say I learn more from my mistakes than my sucess.
Good Job Frank
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2007 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

Nice photos, it's nice to see someone trying hard like yourself, NB If you can only get blue terminals, double over the wiring inside! I also know what you did with the window switch because  the Benz factory switch rests on LIVE! Turn round live and ground and loose the illumination!

P.S. I only use the left hand crimper for non-insulated terminals and have a french Facom crimp tool for insulated crimps,N.B. the UK Thatcham rating is I believe  the ability to withstand 9lbs pull on the connector before coming adrift.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic