icon

fix two fried amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
importhunter 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
both on the right side read 809. The ones on the left read 694 and 001 for the top one and 828 and 201 for the bottom one.
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 5:29 PM / IP Logged  
any idea?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 3:09 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the power supply of your amp has failed.  From the numbers you gave me one of the transistors is shorted.  However in order to repair this all 4 need to be replaced.  And probably several surface mount components.  This is not an easy first repair.  You will need a butane powered torch/soldering iron available from Radio Shack, at a price of 19.99.  You will have to go somewhere else to buy some Butane for the iron.  Before you order any parts for this project you will need to check the rest of the 3 legged thingys the same way you checked these 4 components.  If anything reads below .300 after the probe is held on them for a few seconds, Post the part number and the reading. 
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2007 at 7:43 AM / IP Logged  
Can I upgrade the transistors to a higher wattage or something while I am in here? So far all I have tested is the Mosfet sides and abour 12 of them are toast. Does EVERYTING need to read above .300? I found the Mosfet transistors. Its P/N irf9640 Is this site a good place to get them from cause I need 16 and their .75 a piece. http://www.futurlec.com/TransMosIRF.shtml
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 8:39 PM / IP Logged  
The Rockford amp in the picture should have only 4 IRF9640s.    What are the part numbers of the power supply transistors?
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2007 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
fix two fried amps? - Page 2 -- posted image.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 4:27 AM / IP Logged  
A 9640 will not be a suitable upgrade in your situation.  They are a higher voltage but lower current version of the 9540.    You can upgrade the power supply transistors (The MTP 50N06s)  with an IRF-3205.  The 50N06 is rated at 50 amps and the 3205 is rated at 85.   If the surface mount resistors that feed the leftmost leg of the 50N06s are not 20 Ohms they will need to be changed.  After re-checking your original picture the resistors appear to be bad.  Even if you do not upgrade to the 3205s they will need to be replaced.  They are probably 47 or 100 Ohms.  Chances are you will have to replace at least 2 surface mount transistors and several surface mount resistors.  Before you go and order some parts we really need to make sure we can get the transistors unmounted from the green strip that they are mounted to. 
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
I can for sure get them off of the green strip. Where are the resistors you are talking about?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

The resistor that is connected to the Left Leg of each power supply transistor.  Follow the trace from the leg to the next component.  How exactly do you plan to remove the transistors from the green strip?

importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh the tiny black ones. Those will be a challenge.
I am going to heat up the metal circle above the plastic casing then just heat up each leg and blow out the solder with compressed air. Is that the right way?
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic