icon

fix two fried amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,670
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
Heating up the metal tab is the hard way.  An air compressor is the very messy way.  If you insist on heating the tab, you will need at least a 90 watt weller iron.  It is orange in color and has a 3/8 inch wide tip on it with a flat surface. I forget the model number but I am sure you can find one.  It will of course need to be unmounted from the heat sink. 
importhunter 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
Whats the easy way? also are those little ones that say 101 the right resistors? They are coming off of what i am assuming is the left leg of th transistor. Where can i buy the tiny resistors? I tried to google "resistor 101" but I kept getting classes. Any links?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 09, 2007 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
Yes the 101 resistor is the one I am talking about.  It is a 100 ohm.  It works just like a color coded resistor.  First digit is first number, second digit is second number.  Third digit is the number of Zeros you put behind the first 2 digits.  1  0  with a 0 behind it.  100 Ohms.    The easy way is with the Butane Torch mentioned earlier.   I will get you a size and source for the surface mount resistors and post later.
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
Cool! Thanks, do you think anything else will be fried?
importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2007 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
fix two fried amps? - Page 3 -- posted image.
There are all the ones that read above 300.
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  

How do you have 2 readings on some and 3 on others?   If you are putting one lead on the tab of the transistor and then reading to each leg, The tab is directly connected to the middle leg.  Hence the .000 reading on TC6.  If this is how you are reading them there is a problem with TC13.  The middle reading there should be .000 also.  

Chances are the only thing other than the power supply transistors and the gate resistors mentioned earlier that will need to be replaced are 2 of the 4 surface mount transistors that are fed by pins 9 and 10 of the 594 IC.  Directly north of the transformer there are 4 transistors mounted in a row.  You will need to change the 2 that have the top connection connected to ground.  I will get you a part number for them tomorrow.  I need to get you the number for the resistors too.

importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 11, 2007 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
are you talking about the black cylinder things with 3 legs that are between all the Mosfet transistors?
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  

The transformer is the big coil of wire wrapped around the doughnut shaped ceramic coated core.  There are red and green wires wrapped around it.  The red and green wires then go to a location on the board near the mosfets. 

Treat your picture as a map.  directly North of the transformer there are 4 surface mount transistors all lined up in a row.   Ok not directly north, but maybe at 355 Degrees.

importhunter 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2007 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh Ok I see them, which ones will they be? The set on the left or right? 2 of them say 1am and a sideways Y, and the other 2 say `2a and a sidways N (not a Z)
i am an idiot 
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 6:18 PM / IP Logged  
As stated above,  the 2 transistors that have the middle connection grounded.  The other 2 have their middle connection at 12 volts.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic