the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5501, 03 silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Did you try it with the key in the ignition? If not, give that a shot. Also check you hood pin switch input to make sure it is being depressed correctly and that you don't have a short to ground somewhere along the line. What exactly is it doing when you try to start it? Is the ignition coming on and just not cranking or is it not doing anything at all?
I just re-read the original post and you said that it is erroring right away which means it is probably related to a shutdown input and not a bypass issue. Check through all of the shut down inputs and make sure they are getting the correct signal;
Brake wire - 12v ONLY with the brake depressed
Hood Pin - ground only when the hood is opened
Neutral Safety input - straight ground at all times
And also check to make sure you are in automatic mode in the programming.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
bans25 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I checked the hood pin and its working as expected, 0V when open and disconnected the hood switch for now and checked its not at 0V. 

The starter error code I am getting now is 8 parking light flashes:  Neutral safety wire has no ground or the neutral safety switch is Off. 

I checked the Neutral saftey wire and it has a solid connection to ground (checked with DVM)

Any ideas before I burn this truck :) 

bans25 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  

I figured it out!

The valet switch that came with the unit doesnt work!  I can switch it on or off and the the two wires are not connected together!! (what are the chances of that??). I shorted them together for now and the truck starts!!! Thanks guys!!

So my issues were

1) The Tach from D2D didnt work.. I am still using D2D but pulled the tack out from the DB-ALL to the 5501 and that worked

2) The valet switch that came with the remote did not work  (this was a re-furbished unit.. I wonder if this is why it was returned in the first place?)

One other thing I noticed.. the truck started fine and shuts down, then it starts again and has been running about 5 mins? any idea what would cause it to shut down?

Time to head back out in the cold and button up the unit and put the hood pin back in circuit!

you guys are great!

bans25 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

After thinking about the issue some more.. maybe the tach from the DBALL is a bad idea.. as what was mentioned earlier.. maybe I should just wire the remote starter tach to the white truck tach behind the cluster.. I am going to try that.

offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Yea, I would hardwire the tach. I've never had a good reliable tach signal from the DB-ALL bypasses. You may have to change it to W2W though so that it doesn't keep programming the tach off the DB-ALL. Worse comes to worse you can temporarily set it to voltage sensing until it warms up enough to change it to w2w. You should be ok with Voltage sensing on that vehicle... but once you get the chance, I would change whatever needed to use a good tach signal for long term reliability.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
bans25 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM / IP Logged  

Just in case anyone else runs into the same issues I did.. I am still using D2D but wired the tach off the back of the cluster. I RS the truck about 10 times, worked every time!!

thanks all!!!

offroadzj 
Posted: January 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Glad you got it figured out.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic