icon

newbie seeks help with wiring 2 amps

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shagback 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  

I just bought a US acoustics USB600D. It's rated RMS 300 watts x 1 at 2 ohms and I plan to use it to drive 2 10in kicker subs. My present amp is an MTX 102D (RMS 25 Watts x 2 into a 4 Ohm load at 12.5v) powering a pair of component speakers up front.

My questions are about my 8 ga wiring from the battery to the MTX amp. Is it ok to use present wire and just add a distribution block? Where can I buy a distribution block that accepts one 8 ga and outputs 2 8 ga? Is this correct for the power requirement of the 2 amps or do I have to tear up the wiring and go one 4 ga input to two 8 ga outputs?

Also I am just planning to connect the blue remote turn on wire from head unit to the 2 amps in series. Is this ok? What about ground, can I use the same grounding point on the car chassis for the 2 amps?

TIA!

ps. if you haven't bought anything from crutchfield b4 and plan to, use my referral code  pwkef-ttq28-0ksy5 and receive a $20 credit for orders > $200. You'll give me a credit as well :D

Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
Me personally I would run 4awg wire and use a distrubution block to run 8awg to the other two amps. You can use the same grounding point for both amps...in fact that is the best way. As far as the remote wire...you can use a relay or just jump it off one amp to the other. Hope this helps...ask if you have anymore questions.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Your amps will pull a total of 350 watts so you can stay with yout 8 AWG as long as the total length of the cable from your battery to either amp is less than 8 feet.  If the cable is longer than 8 feet, go up to 4 AWG from the battery to your distru block, than then 8 from there to each amp.  Jumping your remote lead from one amp to the other should be fine.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  

You might want to get a relay if you buy another amp so you dont burn out your HU's turn on circuit.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  

You only might want to look into this if you have more then three amps actually.

shagback 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 19, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all your replies!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic