icon

best SQ sub for application

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xclusivex 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
The subs i have are rated at 400w RMS and EVERYONE i have talked to said it was always better to put more power to a sub than to underpower it (hence the reason im running 1200W RMS) and the amp im using is a JBL 1200.1, My reasoning for buying the sub with a sub $300 price tag is so i can spend more money on a decent amplifier (so its not wrong) I just dont see a sense in spending $700 per JL w7 and then $800 for the amp when I know i can get a comparable (if not better) sub for sub $300 and then spend the money I saved into other areas where its needed (upgraded altenator, line driver, etc).. I have every intention on spending atleast $500 and no more than $800 on a decent amp to push whatever setup I choose, right now im considering a Zapco (I believe its 750w RMS at 4oh bridged with .02 THD (from what i remember)) which is more than enough to push either 1 brahma or two IDQ. my boxes are always custom built, usually to manufacteres specifications, Adire says .7 to 1.5 cubic feet for a sealed brahma 12 (.7 would be perfect for what im looking for)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Xclusivex wrote:
The subs i have are rated at 400w RMS and EVERYONE i have talked to said it was always better to put more power to a sub than to underpower it (hence the reason im running 1200W RMS) and the amp im using is a JBL 1200.1,

EVERYONE has no clue most of the time.  1200 to a 400 watt sub is a complete waste of money.

Xclusivex wrote:
My reasoning for buying the sub with a sub $300 price tag is so i can spend more money on a decent amplifier (so its not wrong) I just dont see a sense in spending $700 per JL w7 and then $800 for the amp when I know i can get a comparable (if not better) sub for sub $300 and then spend the money I saved into other areas where its needed (upgraded altenator, line driver, etc).. I have every intention on spending atleast $500 and no more than $800 on a decent amp to push whatever setup I choose, right now im considering a Zapco (I believe its 750w RMS at 4oh bridged with .02 THD (from what i remember)) which is more than enough to push either 1 brahma or two IDQ. my boxes are always custom built, usually to manufacteres specifications, Adire says .7 to 1.5 cubic feet for a sealed brahma 12 (.7 would be perfect for what im looking for)

You totally missed my point. 

Sure 750w rms is more than enough to push 1 Brahma or 2 IDQs.  I was trying to help you decide which one will be better for you with that amount of power.  That is what you were asking, right?

One Brahma with 750 might actually be quieter than your current setup.   You seemed concerned with SPL.  Is this what you want? 

You may think I'm being a pain in the ass, but I'm trying to help you make a smart buying decision and realize what to expect. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2004 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  
LISTEN to kfr01!!  Excellent advice in these posts.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic