icon

Fuse block LED's

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
And by the way thanks for the help. How in the world did you know how to do this? Have you used it before? Can you also tell me what the values are on the resisters and the transistor. These are all things I could just get from radio shack right?
xetmes 
Silver - Posts: 586
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2003 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  

haha cat-5, i use that stuff all the time for things, cat-5 would work just fine, although you only get 8 wires, but that no big deal.

Parts for fig. 3 diagram:

Q1 - 2N3906, PNP general purpose transistor (last time i saw these at radio shack they were in a package of 15 i think for like $2) very common transistor.

R3, R4 - 4.7 K Ohm resistor, Just get 1/4 watt, 5% or 10% tolerance, doent really matter that much, i think radio shack sells these in packages of 5 for like $0.50

R5 - 560 Ohm, same 1/4 W...

LED - well the circuit is designed for a 2V drop 20 mA LED, i would reccomend a dual color common cathode RED / green LED, just because it will look cooler. I have no idea if radio shack would sell these...?

I would also get a piece of perfboard, with the copper doughnuts, if you can solder.

Oh i thought of the second diagram, then as i was drawing it thought of the 3rd, then the first, then the last 2 haha, i actually had another too, but it ended up being too many parts to make it useful.

Let me know how it goes.

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  
xetmes - thank you so much for you help with this. I have a few questions. Just got back from Radio Shack and want to know you opinion on a few things. As far as the perf board goes do I want one that just has all the holes with just the copper donuts, or they also have one that has traces between certain holes. The one that has some traces has like 3 holes attached together. I think this one would work better but not sure. As far as the resistors they didn't have 560 Ohm but they did have 470 Ohm. Would that make that big of a difference? As far as the transistor is concerned, does it matter which posts go to which portion of the diagram? They don't have the dual color LED's but I have a company I can get those from. With the resistors is there a certain way they need to go(like a diode) or can I put them in either way and they do the same? Thanks again for all your assistance.
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

for the perf-board, if you think a different kind will make it easier go for it, im used to the stuff wit just the donuts.

If they dont have 560 i would go for 620 or 680 first, if they dont have that then go for 470, or you could get twice as many of 300 Ohms and put 2 in series for 600 ohms...

Dual color LEDs (RED / green) are very common you shouldnt have much trouble getting some.

resistors dont have polarity so just put then in anyway you want. Fuse block LED's - Page 2 -- posted image.

No thank you, nobody ever builds these circuits I draw up, im just glad someone is, maybe ill jam the parts in some perfboard and take a picture for you if you want, the way i think it would be easiest to do, it doesnt really matter though.

I assume you will but i would build just one and try it out to make sure it all works correctly before making them all, you can just touch the fuse wire to 12V to see if the LED changes...

Good Luck, ohh do they still sell the 2N3906 transistor in like packs of 15?

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 21, 2003 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
They do still come in packs of 15. Do they have a certain way they should be installed? As for the resistors they don't have anything higher than 470 until 1K. Would that be better than the 470? If you could make one and take a pic of the way it should look I would love it. You can email me at mj239air@yahoo.com . I have a pretty good idea of how to do it, but wouldn't hurt to make sure I am going to do it right. Of course I would try it first before making all the ones I need. I think it is great that you knew how to figure out how to do this and if I think up any other unique circuits I will definitely send you a message. Thanks so much for helping a rookie build some interesting circuits.
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  

wel if thats all they have go with the 470. the transistor has to go in a special way,like so:

Fuse block LED's - Page 2 -- posted image.

if you look at the transistor notice the one side is flat and the other is rounded, the view above would be looking directly down on the circuit from above, I also labeled the emitter, base, and collector (the three terminals of the transistor).

If you want the pin layout in a 3-D view check out the datasheet for the transistor: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3906.pdf

here is the layout i did, its less helpful thta i thought it would be, i didnt solder anything.

Fuse block LED's - Page 2 -- posted image.

Although if its the first time you build something on a board i would recommend not trying to jam everything in a small area, space it out a little and color code wires, i used blue for ground, red for constant power, and green for the fuse terminal.

Let me know how it goes, good luck. Fuse block LED's - Page 2 -- posted image.

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2003 at 9:55 AM / IP Logged  
Gonna do it this weekend! Thanks so much for the help!!!
mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  
xetmes - YOU ARE THE BOMB!!! I made the circuit and it works perfectly. I didn't realize that I already had a bag of dual color LED's but I did and it worked just like you said it would. I just rigged it up real quick to try it, but once I get done with my complete board I will take a pic and let you see what I did. I counted up and will probably be using 15 - 20 of these circuits so I hope I get good at it by the end. If you have any cool ideas of other things I could make please let me know. Like I said before I will be asking if I think up anything. Thanks again for you assistance!!!!!!
xetmes 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, first person to build a circuit i drew up hah.Yea take a picture when you are done i would love to see it. Other ideas, i have plenty what else do you have in mind? I have a small circuit here that will use a momentary switch to toggle a relay on and off and change LED from red to green and back and such, nice for fog lights and other things that usually require a toggle switch, thats one i remember because i just built it, a little more complicated than this but nothing you can't handle Fuse block LED's - Page 2 -- posted image.

I think most people are turned off when they see the diagrams, it wasn't that hard was it?

mj239air 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2003 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
It was simple, I am not completely finished because I have to order 1 part for it, then I will be. Not sure of what other ideas yet.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic