icon

viper remote start stopped working?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davidas 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 4:34 AM / IP Logged  

I have a viper 791vx installed on 05 avalanche and it's been working fine for almost 3 years.  Now the remote start doesn't work.  It appears that it's trying to start for like 3 times (light blinks) but fail.  I don't even hear it cranking, only some relay clicking.   Everything on the alarm side seem to be working fine.

I checked the neutral safety, hood pin switch, connections,  and fuses and they all seem to be ok.   Anything else I need to check?  I'm using the DEI 555L & DEI 456G interface modules.   Is there a way to pin point what's causing the problem?  Thanks...

perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
it sounds like a bypass issue. one way to check is to put the key in the key cylinder(but do not turn it) and then try to remote start. if it starts with no problems then it is something wrong with the bypass. I have heard of some bypass "forgetting" their programming this may be your case.
davidas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

perly wrote:
it sounds like a bypass issue. one way to check is to put the key in the key cylinder(but do not turn it) and then try to remote start. if it starts with no problems then it is something wrong with the bypass. I have heard of some bypass "forgetting" their programming this may be your case.

Thanks, but I tried that one already...

splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 3:52 PM / IP Logged  
check both of the fuses going to the viper...
wiretapper 
Copper - Posts: 166
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
davidas wrote:

Thanks, but I tried that one already...

Yes, but did you......

A.....wait at least 10 minutes AFTER the last failed start attempt? 3 failed start attempts in a row will trigger the Passlock system to shut down for 10 mins.

B.....did you unplug the bypass unit BEFORE trying to start it with a good key in the ignition? If the bypass unit is faulty, it will send a faulty resistance ALONG WITH the good key triggering the proper resistance. 

davidas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  

No...  I did not do those....

Thanks, I'll try these first thing in the morning...   will let you know how it goes...

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  
Leaving a key in the cylinder will do nothing. Passlock II requires the key to be turned before the R-code is sent to the BCM.
Passlock II will not prevent the truck from cranking. It will prevent it from staying running. The problem you are having is probably related to the starter wire output.
You need to meter all the ignition, accessory and starter wires to see which are not getting power when the remote start is initiated.
davidas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2007 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  

JWorm wrote:
Leaving a key in the cylinder will do nothing. Passlock II requires the key to be turned before the R-code is sent to the BCM.
Passlock II will not prevent the truck from cranking. It will prevent it from staying running. The problem you are having is probably related to the starter wire output.
You need to meter all the ignition, accessory and starter wires to see which are not getting power when the remote start is initiated.

That makes sense...

I'll double check those wires...    this are the ones on the relay satellite with heavy gauge wires right?

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah, those are the heavy gauge wires. Also check to make sure the harness that connects the relay satellite to the alarm brain is pushed all the way in. It may be loose and not making contact causing the problem you are having.
davidas 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2007 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, I took some meter readings on those wires and everything gets power either constantly or when remote start is initiated EXCEPT the PINK ignition output (heavy guage).   Could that be the problem? or will that only have power when engine is running?

Assuming it suppose to have power when trying to start, what signal is needed to get power to that?   (assuming the relay is good). 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic