bassop823 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 10:18 AM / IP Logged  
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
It mean you have reference materials in your brain when you have taken the reading material versus someone who doesn't have one. That's about it.   
Not so good of a material to impress your date. mecp certified technician -- posted image.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.mecp certified technician -- posted image.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 2:37 PM / IP Logged  

thats true, also u get a grasp on alarms and audio, basically u will know more than what an amature would, unless the amature is serious ahah. i dont know who has the signature but i give credit to them..

"who needs an installer (mecp) when u got the 12volt."

Cheers to whoever it may be.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Tedmond, empty your inbox.H.
rfwave 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
well , 12volt needs mecp !
wirewise 
Moderator - Posts: 489
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
rfwave wrote:
well , 12volt needs mecp !
The 12 volt industry needs competent installers more than it needs the MECP. While the intentions of the mobile electronics certification program are not without merit, from what I have witnessed it has opened the door to many unqualified installers gaining employment in this industry. I'm not saying I'm against MECP nor am I knocking all certified installers, but MECP is for the most part nothing more than a multiple choice test. Without knowing a thing about mobile electronics and having absolutely no experience, you still have a 25% chance of answering each question correctly instead of closer to a 0% chance in the real world.
Yeah, it's a cool thing to add to your stack of training certificates (or I attended that meeting certificate) and I know several people that could easily pass the test that would fail miserably in the bay, but many of the professional installers I know that are more than capable of obtaining them either never have or no longer bother to because their experience and quality of work better demonstrate their qualifications and abilities.
If you're just starting out, by all means get it. At the very least it says you have a strong interest in this field.
~wirewise~
kylecm85 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: December 18, 2007 at 11:10 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with wirewise it is a good thing to have under the belt but taking a test and working in the bay are two diffrent things. I am mecp certified and i dont use much from the test in the industry today. I think the test is a little outdated but does help gain knowledge in the industry. So if u want to take it get a book and start studying but if u have good knowledge of car audio then you should be alright without it. Good luck

perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 5:45 AM / IP Logged  
I know that from personal experience I came out of Mobile Dynamics in Toronto with MECP and I knew the theory but I knew NO practical. I feel that I learned far more in my first few weeks actually in the bay then I did at Mobile.
I have also seen many people who come out of Mobile and they are WAY too cooky and think that they know everything(only to break something later on and then either a) get fired or b) get sent to the sales floor). In my opinion practical experience in the bay trumps MECP/Mobile any day of the week.
vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  
nothing will replace hands on training, period. MECP is good to have if you want the certificate to display in your shop though. Some customers may want only mecp certified installers working on their vehicles.
I personally do not have it, but I could run down and take the test whenever to get it.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic