the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

mecp certified technician

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 19, 2007 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
well thing is, in Ontario, Canada. we are the only province that says MECP - is nothing more than a piece of paper that said u passed a course. To get a guarentee bay position, they want you to have your automotive electrician certificate. this requires school but u learn alot. I wanted to go to mobile dynamics, but i was still too busy from school work. High school is sure fun, but work is kinda nuts, cant wait for uni haha. well, a shop in toronto that i know SLS, they hired 2 guys from mobile dynamics and seriously, they dont know jack doodie. they have all knowledge but no hands on or practicle work. I was visting the shop the other day and talked to the owners buddy (manager) and he was the one that told me that MECP is nothing here in ontario. its the ONLY province, now isnt that some messed up thing.
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 5:54 AM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:
well thing is, in Ontario, Canada. we are the only province that says MECP - is nothing more than a piece of paper that said u passed a course. To get a guarentee bay position, they want you to have your automotive electrician certificate. this requires school but u learn alot. I wanted to go to mobile dynamics, but i was still too busy from school work. High school is sure fun, but work is kinda nuts, cant wait for uni haha. well, a shop in toronto that i know SLS, they hired 2 guys from mobile dynamics and seriously, they dont know jack doodie. they have all knowledge but no hands on or practicle work. I was visting the shop the other day and talked to the owners buddy (manager) and he was the one that told me that MECP is nothing here in ontario. its the ONLY province, now isnt that some messed up thing.
Now just a question are you thinking of the 310k as the peice of paper which only Ontario has? I agree that MECP is not worth much but I have worked in Ont and Alberta and both places talk about MECP.
However, the Ontario 310k Tech certificate is only in Ontario and it is truly worthless since once you get it then you just simply pay each year(or two) and it never expires and you never need to retest. And from what I have been told by the installer i work with it is very very easy/basic test to pass. So basically it is just another way for Ont to get easy money out of people.
The principle is really good since in theory only shops who have the 310k can legally install starters but the actual testing is a joke. If they want to standardize the "trade" then they need to make it a formal trade with an apprenticeship and then maybe, just maybe the ghetto hack job installers will cease to exist. OK enough ranting, it's just my two cents.
ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  

Certifications are something started as a marketing tool in my opinion. Most consumers see the word certified this or that and assume that they are getting expereinced professionals. as we all know this is not always the case. I have worked in the auto repair industry for 35 years, I have worked along side of mechanics that were ASE Certified Master Auto & Truck Technicians, and some of these people couldn't handle the most basic troubleshooting problems.

All certification means is that you read the book and passed the written test. If I were to give my son the study materials for the MECP he would probably get a near perfect score (he has 3 college degrees). Could he install or repair any of what we do, NO! This is not to say that all the certified installers are bad, but there is too much emphassis on it.

Unfortunately certifications are here to stay, and there are more coming, (believe it or not there are certifications to repair lawn mowers) and we will have to deal with them. The more the big companies keeps marketing it the harder it will be for the small guys to compete. Our best hope is that customers realize that the big box stores can't give the service the small shop can, and from the comments I read here I think they are starting to realize it. 

Ed
perly 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
ers1121 wrote:

Our best hope is that customers realize that the big box stores can't give the service the small shop can, and from the comments I read here I think they are starting to realize it. 

without getting into a long reply I will simply say, not all big box stores are bad just as not all small shops are good. I have seen many great big box installers and just as many HORRIBLE small shops installers.
ers1121 
Copper - Posts: 110
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  

I won't argue that point, in fact I do agree. Where I live in NJ most of the big box stores have a horrible reputation, one in particular. I'm not a shop or a full time installer but do it on a part time basis. I have had several customers from one chain in particular that have had so many problems I have had to completely remove and re-install their alarms or remote starters. The 99.00 installed bargin was anything but a bargin.

Ed
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic