icon

salary, pay, need opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xxajohnsonxx 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
I work for a car stereo shop. Im pretty new to this business, having been in it for about 6 months now. I dont know how to do it all, but what I do know ive been getting better at as time progressed.
The problem is I think my boss is ripping me off.
Its car starter season over here and we are doing tons of starters every day, and i get em done in around 1.5-2 hours each (except for chryslers because as we all know they are much more of a pain in the a**).
Im getting paid $7.00 an hour, which is really crappy money.
Can anyone tell me what i should be making for the experience that i currently possess?
thanks
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
Why don't you check out the going rate for shops in your area, if you find that what you are getting paid is substantially less than what someone with the same skill set you possess is making in the other shop approach your boss with that information. If your boss does not want to offer you what you think you are worth, apply at the other shop. $7.00/hr seems more like a rate you would pay the person who pushes a broom at the end of the day, not an installer's wage.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
7.00 per hr. is not even minimum wage. 
enice 
Silver - Posts: 857
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 8:50 PM / IP Logged  
That is true....7 is not even minimum wage in NYC....where abouts is the shop at????
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Unless your working under the table....... (you know, no taxes....etc.) Plus some labor money....

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
when i worked, i made good money. per hour, remote start is 25. i usaully whip them out in about 3 hours or so. some cars are crazy sometimes and it requires troubleshooting. but 7 is not that great to be honest. Last year when i did part time, i made almost 200 per day - from alarm/RS and basic audio.
ralphtonka 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
25-45% of charged labour in Alberta, Canada is fair!
StealthEs 
Copper - Posts: 326
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
I personally would not stick around for $7 an hour but at the same time I have a ton of experience. If you thing you should be getting more, what are you bringing to the table? You are new to installing, I would bet you aren't MECP certified, can you solve your own problems without asking for help?
I think the shop is taking a risk on you. Nothing personal but you are getting 7 an hour, if you mess the wrong car up the shop is looking at a few grand they would have to pay, or insurance.
Cris
aziegler 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

Your getting ripped off!

Good advise earlier about checking with your other installer shops.  I think you will find that you should be making more $.  There are also many better paying oportunities for people with your electro mechanical skills. Go talk to your electrical or communcations union for an appreticeship program. Apply for positions with your utilities etc.

Good Lck

AZ 

Thack79 
Silver - Posts: 526
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  
your getting ripped off. People in mcdonalds make more than that. find another shop
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic