icon

salary, pay, need opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Agree with all the others here that $7.00 per hour is totally ricoculous, and you could easily make the same money or more doing pretty much any type of unskilled labor.
The only thing that would make it more acceptable, would be if you started with no experience, and received on-the-job training.
I work straight commission, and I'd find hourly pay to be just plain boring.
If you're doing remote starters in under two hours with only six months' experience, that's great! Also, Chryslers are easy, it's just that the tech sheets are loaded with timewasters......try to see if your co-workers are doing them differently.
But I wouldn't go and quit just yet. There's plenty of money in this business. Hourly pay gives you a good opportunity to hone your skills, increase your speed, and learn from your mistakes.
I would stick it out through remote start season, where you'll learn a lot. Then start looking around, and see what opportunities are out there. You might talk to your boss about a raise or a commission-based pay structure, and if he doesn't listen, take your skills somewhere else.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 10:56 AM / IP Logged  

When I got my first "professional" car stereo job I was making more then that, and I had no tools and no real shop experiance.  I had performed several custom audio installs, but that was all (fresh out of high school).

That was back in 1999.  If you calculate a 3% rate of inflation for 8 years, and the fact I was in Ohio, where I'm positive the cost of living is lower, you arn't doing very well.

Of course, there are always factors - do you have all your own tools?  A manager isn't going to be big on the idea of giving some new guy a big raise if the new guy is constantly borrowing tools from everyone in the shop.  Have you ever caused damage to a car that cost either yourself or the shop money?  In your 1.5-2 hour installations do they look professional when you are done, with all safeties tested and working?  Do you constantly have cars coming back for installation problems? 

I could see a shop paying someone a low rate just to keep them around to help with the busy season if they don't see a future with that individual, but if your shop wants to keep you around they need to give you a decent pay increase.

Kevin Pierson
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
This dosen't sound right to me, if you are new and only doing it for 6 months that means you started in the summer when not many remote starters are installed, so how can you in be so fast seeing that you have maybe 2 months experience with starters.
I have been doing it way way wayyy longer and I can't do em that qick on average.
Unless you have left out some information about prior experience, if you are smart enough to be able to do a remote start so quickly, you should be smart enough to know $7.00 an hour is total crap, and your boss does not care about you or his customers.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 8:55 AM / IP Logged  

Going back to the stone age, I started work for a large firm, initial work was at the bench rebuilding starter motors, dynamos (!) alternators, window lifts, aerial motors etc. This gave one a grounding (I  brush-slipped that one in) in the basics, motors switches relays etc. Then we helped out (remove these three screws etc) with auto-electrical rectification work, finally we were allowed on to car stereo, remember these were Lear-Jet days. IT WAS CALLED AN APPRENTICESHIP.

The part I don't understand is 6 months work and on to R/S work, how do you learn the complexities of by-pass, what to wire as an ignition, 2nd ign etc etc, checking,  proper jointing (I'm having fun teaching my 9 year old grandson how to make decent solder joints which he can now do but does any one think he understands the reasons for what he is doing?) Is this 1.5 hours an alarm? An alarm + R/S or just an R/S.? I've discussed this at length with Kar Tune Man amongst others and our conclusion is that if this is dealer work with the same vehicles time after time fine, if it's regular retail work with different makes and models, I just don't believe it. One week last  month we had a 1955 Bel Aire for an immobiliser followed by an Audi R8 for a Blackjax. Today we have an argument over 08 v 07 3 series BMW. The "perm 12v" at the radio shut down on 07's. We now find on 08's that it stays on but:- That's an hour waiting for a DMM to stop reading! This I why I find 1.5 hours hard to believe.

xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
I am betting you guys are only seeing part of the story. 6 months expereince and 1.5 to 2 hrs to install a remote start hmm?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
meh, sounds kinda true. well winter has only been about a month. so before i would assume its audio and alarm only. start is a differant story.
xxajohnsonxx 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
I am MECP certified, even though it doesnt mean anything
i can do your basic system in about 2 hours
remote starts it depends on the car, i usually pump out a remote start in around 1.5 to 2 hours, alarm and starter is closer to 3.
I dont think im the most experienced on earth, but i know im better than the worst.
xxajohnsonxx 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 5:38 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont believe me on the time thats fine
i did an '07 starter with a key'd bypass yesterday in 56 minutes.
I know where my skills are at and I know that what the time takes. My average is 1.5 to 2 hours like i said, and this is for a remote start only, with a bypass. Most modules are easy to hook up, they have self-explanatory insrtuctions, and i dont see where the hard part is, and I dont even use modules when it comes to bypasses involving the key. i know the wrap the key method
i went to school for this stuff so i know im MECP certified.
Again if you dont trust me, thats fine, but for the past 3 months ive been doing 3 or 4 starters a day 6 days a week, so it should be normal for me to be getting faster and faster each day.
And in response to the one post, Chryslers arent that hard, they just suck because of the way they all need to do be done. However the module is easy to work with as the rest of them are.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

If he does the job in that time, he's to good to be working there for that sort of money maybe Chris or Eric should take him on as their senior partner!

Last week I did a Golf IV in 3 hrs, icluding the nasty DEI bat back-up siren, awful to get at ign and starter cuts and getting into the driver's door for lock/unlock and total close. Meanwhile  an E46 3 Series BMW takes me about 11/2 hrs up to 2 with R/S, why because everything you need is under drive side dash except left hand brake light cable. The only extra time is to make up 2 x 3 1N5400 diode branches for the indicators (Europe = flashers not side lights). Directechs etc will point you all around the car for the pick up points but I'VE TAKEN THE TIME TO ELIMINATE DEAD ENDS BUT HOW LONG TO MAKE UP DIODE BLOCKING AND JOINING? HOW LONG TO REMEMBER TO DIODE BLOCK the power feeds for the trunk illumination on the E46, how do you time all the extra diodes and relays An E36 BMW, to give it normal lock on ign + deadlock on alarm + total close requires 6 x 1N 400 series diodes, 2 x relays and 2 spare timed outputs! HOW LONG TO MAKE UP?

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
howie, your too experianced ahaha. you gotta teach me more ! =)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic