the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

salary, pay, need opinions

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

xxajohnsonxx, just a question, does you intalls come out clean and look factory?, because what howie would say, " if it looks like spaghetti, its probably cooked"

well back on topic, yes you would for sure need to make more if u can whip out cars that quickly, your boss is messing with you. be staright up and ask why ur pay is bad, or go job searching within your area and ask if u have xx amount of isntall time, how much they pay.

kassdog 
Copper - Posts: 257
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2007 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know. Again with the 6months and doing them 1-2 hours. Ive been doing them about 3 years and I take about 3 for rem start keyless bypass and into the door for something just because I like to make mine completely neat. I mean, you don't see one wire, everything and I mean everything is soldered. Brain is hidden extremely well. So someone with only 1-2 hours is still kinda like what aren't you doing.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
yeap, well as other post and fellow members mentioned, look around at other shops, see how they pay.
riceman 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
I made about $7 bucks an hour back in 1999. $60 bucks a day and that was when I didn't have very many tools and 19 yrs old only knew how to swap decks speakers and install amps.It was a year before I started doing basic alarms Thats when I got a raise. if you really can pump out rs in 1.5 to two hours you really need to ask for a raise or look elsewhere.
good luck and hang in there. In this field it takes time to find the right place to work. here is some advice, Money aint everything. meaning
how confortable you are at your work. Jumping around is a headache. If you find a boss that treats you well buys lunch, xmas bonus, bottle of xo for xmas days off when u need it stick with him and try to stick it out. Cheers
ya boy mike 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  
Are these quick remote start installs including everything, such as parking lights, hood pin, brake wire, tach, etc. or only the wires necessary to start the car? If you are including absloutely everything and have neat installs with happy customers, you deserve more, no questions asked. Im assuming you also know other basics, like radios, speakers, amps etc. if you can do r/s right? If you do indeed know all of these things you could even go to a big box and make significantly more money.
It Hz
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2007 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
The quickest install I ever did was in a 1998 Dodge Neon parking lights, hood pin, tach, no keyless or trunk, soldered all connections and factory wrapped all wires, programmed unit and cable tied module under dash in 45 min. Now that was back in 2000, now my average is 2 hours to 3 with anti-theft modules. I should be making more then I do but because I went out of install field for a while I am not, so maybe I am not as fast as I used to be but I still try to do a top notch job by wrapping all wires and soldering all connections that I can.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2007 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  
Asked today about my 90 day review that was overdue by about a month and he said today " I put in for a 0.50 per hour increase for your wage. That puts me up to a whopping $11.50/hr. I was disappointed to say the least when I am already not making enough for the job I do. I asked if he was sure due to what I do and he said that is all he can afford to pay at the moment and to wait until March or so when spring business picks up to discuss it then. That is such $h*t.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
ranger svo 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

Installers are a jack of all trades. We have a basic knowledge of electronics ( I have an Associates Degree in Electronics). We know how to use bondo, fiberglass. We have good wood working skills. None of us are paid based on what we can do. Most of us are artists. There is nothing that we cannot do to a car. But most employers know that we are a dime a dozen. All they see is the bottom line. And if they can make money and pay someone less than so be it. Get over it.

I have come to the conclusion that there  are two types of installers. Those who are not smart enough to find another job or those that are working their way through college ( I graduate this spring with a BS in Mathematics). The two best installers in this town are gone. One manages the local Best Buy ( he got out of installing 2 years ago) and me. I'm just cruising till graduation. The biggest projects I do anymore are rear speakers in Neons or Radios in Chevy trucks. I got my 24 trophies and they are not worth the space they take up in the shop.

My salary will increase 2.5 times the second they hand me my diploma. And I will not have to hard anymore. You would think that as smart as most installers are they would figure this out.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning but imagination.
Augustus de Morgan
ranger svo 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2008 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

I wanna add one more thing. In a Car Audio and Electronics Magazine (CA&E 07:06  Page 35) this idiot writer states that "exceptional installers move up the career ladder very quickly, so your favorite installer may not be around forever" Not true. They get out of the business.

He also states that he gets many inquiries from individuals who want him to do custom installs. He then states that he gets more enjoyment out of teaching car audio. The saying that "there are those who teach and those who can do" is true. But I can guarantee you that he makes a lot more as a contributing editor and a teacher at some car audio school. He was smart enough to get out. He is not an installer any more.

The moving power of mathematical invention is not reasoning but imagination.
Augustus de Morgan
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2008 at 8:08 PM / IP Logged  
Well, let's see. At $7/hr, you are the lowest indian on the totem pole, so to speak. Your wage structure is usually comensurate upon experience as well. 6 months into a career, and as long as you have accumulated the necessary skills, you should be worth more to your employer. If anything, keep the hourly, and add a percentage of the labor that you do. That way, if it is slow, you still make something.
Mind you, I haven't had a job that paid hourly in over 10 years now, have been salary plus comission for quite some time. At the current place, I am on straight comission, and it has worked very nicely. Of course, after many years in this industry, it is easy to simply name one's price, and generally one gets it (currently at 50% of everything I touch..... not hard to make $500 a day in starter season).
If the employer does not see your worth, or the others in the shop will vouch for that worth to the employer..... well, time to move on I would say.
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic