icon

05 dodge diesel remote start trouble

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lionhart7756 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hi every one.  I am having a  small but very pesky problem. 05 dodge diesel remote start trouble -- posted image. I had a viper alarm with remote start put on my truck in 06.  The problem is only in the winter and when the truck has been sting over night.  Once again this is a 05 Dodge diesel 2500 4x4 slt.  When i attempt to start the truck it will first turn the ingnition on and wait for about 20 sec before turring the starter.  Once the starter turns i beleve the duration is about 1.5 sec.  the engin will start and run for about 15 sec then the alarm shuts down and will run the cycle all over05 dodge diesel remote start trouble -- posted image..  the truck will never stay running and the alarm will time out.  Now. the current status is durring the summer or when the truck is warm there is no problem it starts right up.  The tach wire is hooked up and working i have swaped the brain with now success increased both the start delay and crank times. The installer has given up and told me it is my truck that is the problem. 05 dodge diesel remote start trouble -- posted image. I dont buy this because he installed a simmilar uint on my fathers truck wich is the same make but a 06 and we have the same problem05 dodge diesel remote start trouble -- posted image..  Anyway to make a long storry short has anyone had this problem and what is the soulution???
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

You might need one of those fancy pulse timer doo-hickies. Not being a DEI guy, I don't know if the wait to satart can be timed, or needs a glow plug trigger.

Someone might chime in with this info.

When it's cold this truck want's (needs) 30 seconds to heat the plugs. Summer.....no problem as you have seen.

The 06 is 10 to 15 seconds delay.

lionhart7756 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
it dodge dosent have glow plugs and you can set the wait to start up to 30 sec or so.  If i rember right  any way the wait to start light i the dash goes out and it still wont stay running.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2007 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  

ask the isntaller where he got the tach from. best is from injectors.

saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 12:18 AM / IP Logged  
There is a good tach wire on that truck on the lower part of the engine driver's side. I can't remember the color I only know that it is a bitch to get to. As far as this truck only staying running for 15 sec then shutting down, that sounds like the r/s is losing the tach signal. Get that from somewhere else. It has nothing to do with the intake heater or the delay on start.
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  

you want a wait to start wire..... it's at the glow plug solenoid . behind the air filter box. under hood.

Find a BROWN / orange. it will show 12volts ONLY when the engine is cold.

This is why it's BEST to time the starter.

aziegler 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  

I would check to see where your installer is attaching your tach wire.  He may have attached it to 12 V+ and it is set the starter to use voltage sensing instead of tach signal. If you find this to be true, This is what was happening on my 05 3500 RAM. 

The vehicle starts and runs until your glow-plugs cycle back on (If you ever listened they will repeat this until the truck reaches a certain temperature or time has elapsed). The starter notices the drop in voltage because of the heavy draw from your glo-plugs and shuts the remote starter off because it thinks the truck stalled because from the drop in voltage.  If you notice your alternator does not put out any voltage until you reach 20 MPH or an operating temp. I think this just adds to the problem as if it was sending out the normal voltage it would overcome the voltage drop from the glow plugs.

When it was pretty cold outside, my truck would start, run for 15-20 seconds and shut off just to start again and again.  This would repeat this until the truck reached a high enough temp that the glow plugs would stop cycling. I never monitored the voltage in my truck to verify this is what was happening but I believe it was the case.

The two fixes for this would be to change the system to a tach sensing or a timer mode.

I hope this helps.

AZ

lionhart7756 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the info.  Now how can i change the setting without a handheld programer?  Does anyone know someone in Phoenix that has one i can pulg into without charging me a arm and a leg.  I know that the tach is attached down on the driver side of the motor but i dont know if the sensing is set to volt or tach the first time it was installed the tach wasnt hooked up and my installer said it wasnt necessary.  But this problem continued to occure.  The voltage serge makes good sense because all the lights will dim when the heat grid turns on. 

I know that this isnt a mechanical site but just for clarity dodge cummins engines dont have glow plugs they have a heat grid on top of the manafold.  only ford and chevy still use glow plugs when it comes to light duty diesels.

aziegler 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

What model Viper do you have in your truck?

tonyberg 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 27, 2007 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond wrote:

ask the isntaller where he got the tach from. best is from injectors.

hmmm good luck with that idea on a diesel since its mechanical fuel injection....anyways back to the topic on hand, your tach wire should be hooked to a blue/gray wire on the front side of the PCM.  The PCM is attached to the driverside of the motor about halfway down.  This is the crankshaft position sensor wire and is the most accurate tach signal on a diesel motor

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic